Community Forum

how to tell a no pattern LP?

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
dasein
Visit My Farm

how to tell a no pattern LP?

Post by dasein »

Ok so I just joined and I've read quite a bit on colors in the forums already, but I'm curious how to tell if a horse has LP but doesn't have spots. When they are older they'll be varnish, right? But what about 4 years old? You see, I am asking because I adopted some tarpans from the AC, and one has a blanket and one is not quite "right" for a normal tarpan color. So I guess my question specifically is, does this wonky grayish colored mane and tail signify LP, and will she varnish out?

this one here
Verixacha
Visit My Farm

Re: how to tell a no pattern LP?

Post by Verixacha »

Silver is visible from day one on black-based horses.

I don't think she has LP. The diluted colour are caused by the Dun gene, because you can clearly see the markings on her legs, neck and on her back. I thus expect the grayish mane and tail to be caused by the Silver gene, which is visible from day one on black-based horses. As she is a bay (and thus black-based), you would have noticed the silver if you had her as a foal. But since you've adopted her, you can't be really sure though. Know that LP also affects mane and tail - they go white with age.

I would call her a Silver bay dun.
dasein
Visit My Farm

Post by dasein »

Verixacha wrote:Silver is visible from day one on black-based horses.

I don't think she has LP. The diluted colour are caused by the Dun gene, because you can clearly see the markings on her legs, neck and on her back. I thus expect the grayish mane and tail to be caused by the Silver gene, which is visible from day one on black-based horses. As she is a bay (and thus black-based), you would have noticed the silver if you had her as a foal. But since you've adopted her, you can't be really sure though. Know that LP also affects mane and tail - they go white with age.

I would call her a Silver bay dun.
I don't think so. Foundation tarpan don't come in silver. I already know she is bay dun, since that's the only color they come in. I do believe she is LP with no pattern genes (aka "varnish"). My one tarpan with a blanket has the same grayish colored mane and tail, and my other non LP tarpans have normal manes and tails.
Argent
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester
Visit My Farm

Post by Argent »

This horse is definitely not silver. It is Lp.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri May 03, 2024 3:29 am

It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 3:29 am