Community Forum

Temperament?

Need some help figuring out part of the game? Post your questions here and we'll be glad to help you out.
heartcharm
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Temperament?

Post by heartcharm »

How does temperament affect the horses in this game? How does it change?
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: Temperament?

Post by BlackOak2 »

heartcharm wrote:How does temperament affect the horses in this game? How does it change?
Temperament directly affects the competitions the horse may be entered into. It does seem to be genetically linked (as in a line of bombproof horses will offer bombproof foals), but I don't know how genetically linked it is. A horse used in the speed courses, such as racing and steeplechasing benefits most from being high strung. Alternatively, a horse with a bombproof temperament matches well with log pull.

A horse is born with a base temperament, throughout it's life this base temperament will always be there. However, you can change a horse's temperament by feeding them different feeds (note that not all base temperaments can be changed, often a horse with a bombproof temperament will not change from it). Putting a horse on grass will drop their temperament until they bottom out at bombproof. Feeding the straight yellow corn (and nothing else; they'll have to be in a barn), usually is able to take them up to a maximum of high strung. The horse's base temperament will limit them to how far then can rise or lower it.
Bitapetrone
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Bitapetrone »

My main focus here on HwO is breeding competition horses so I have spent a significant amount of time testing how scores are affected by temperament.

I've found that (for my horses at least, there could be variation between lines) it is not as simple as setting your horse's temperament to just "High Strung" or "Bombproof" There is a spectrum within each temperament. For example, my racers do not perform best at capped out high strung. They perform best near-straddling the line between spirited and high strung. Be ready to do some experimentation to find what suits your horses best.

EDITED TO ADD: When I say "my racers" I am referring strictly to the discipline "Racing", not just race-oriented competitions in general.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Bitapetrone wrote:My main focus here on HwO is breeding competition horses so I have spent a significant amount of time testing how scores are affected by temperament.

I've found that (for my horses at least, there could be variation between lines) it is not as simple as setting your horse's temperament to just "High Strung" or "Bombproof" There is a spectrum within each temperament. For example, my racers do not perform best at capped out high strung. They perform best near-straddling the line between spirited and high strung. Be ready to do some experimentation to find what suits your horses best.

EDITED TO ADD: When I say "my racers" I am referring strictly to the discipline "Racing", not just race-oriented competitions in general.
Thanks for that tidbit Bitapetrone! I had been wondering if there was a measurable difference in a select temperament for disciplines.
Bitapetrone
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Bitapetrone »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Bitapetrone wrote:My main focus here on HwO is breeding competition horses so I have spent a significant amount of time testing how scores are affected by temperament.

Thanks for that tidbit Bitapetrone! I had been wondering if there was a measurable difference in a select temperament for disciplines.
I'm happy it was useful! I've spent a good bit of time trying to optimize for each discipline. With some horses, temperament seems to matter more than others though; I'll notice a more subtle score change with some and a huge change with others just from moving within the range of a single temperament.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Bitapetrone wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:
I'm happy it was useful! I've spent a good bit of time trying to optimize for each discipline. With some horses, temperament seems to matter more than others though; I'll notice a more subtle score change with some and a huge change with others just from moving within the range of a single temperament.
That would certainly seem to fit... after all, it's similar in real life. Being nominally a breeder for color and not performance on here, I can only theorize such things, so it's wonderful hearing of actual 'fact' about it.

Do you think you have enough to right up a little explanation on what you have for our guides? Or would you choose not to do that? I'm fine either way, but I certainly like references! Of course, I'm not sure of anybody who doesn't.
Bitapetrone
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Bitapetrone »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Bitapetrone wrote:
That would certainly seem to fit... after all, it's similar in real life. Being nominally a breeder for color and not performance on here, I can only theorize such things, so it's wonderful hearing of actual 'fact' about it.

Do you think you have enough to right up a little explanation on what you have for our guides? Or would you choose not to do that? I'm fine either way, but I certainly like references! Of course, I'm not sure of anybody who doesn't.
I'm actually working on a guide that covers all the facets (to the best of my knowedlge) of breeding horses specifically for competition, so temperament would certainly be included there. It's still very much a work in progress though.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Bitapetrone wrote:
I'm actually working on a guide that covers all the facets (to the best of my knowedlge) of breeding horses specifically for competition, so temperament would certainly be included there. It's still very much a work in progress though.
I am definitely looking forward to when you post that!
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Tue May 07, 2024 5:36 pm

It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 5:36 pm