Community Forum

Unusual Coloration Clarification

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Unusual Coloration Clarification

Post by BlackOak2 »

Okay, so I think I have this horse pegged correctly. What I'm curious about is why she has a gray appearance.
Granted, she has leopard complex, so she's just going to continue to change colors, right now she's not quite 5 (that's the next time I take pics, so both of these right now are the same). So I'll include a picture of her as a 1.5 year old.

She is a Smoky Brown Roan Pangare with a blanket. But why in her year old picture, does she look so gray? Could she also have dun that I don't seem to see in her pedigree? Or can cream make her brown coat appear like that? Is there something else I'm missing?
Anyway, it's really just curiosity.

Silverine
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Unusual Coloration Clarification

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote:
What it looks like to me is that her pangare is completely covering up the yellowish/reddish spots she would have without them. That, combined with her roan and spots, makes her look like a mealy, varnishing blue roan (though yes, I know mealy won't show on black). She also has a very intense roan expression. Looking at her on her page right now she looks a lot lighter because of the combination bronzing and varnish. And she's also looking a bit like a buckskin because of some Lp sooty on the legs.

Very interesting combo!
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:
What it looks like to me is that her pangare is completely covering up the yellowish/reddish spots she would have without them. That, combined with her roan and spots, makes her look like a mealy, varnishing blue roan (though yes, I know mealy won't show on black). She also has a very intense roan expression. Looking at her on her page right now she looks a lot lighter because of the combination bronzing and varnish. And she's also looking a bit like a buckskin because of some Lp sooty on the legs.

Very interesting combo!
I thought so too!
Kind of a shame she's not part of a color project. I'm actually hoping to eventually breed all of those additional characteristics out.

So you think the combos of pangare and the cream is what's adding up to make her blown-adult (1 year) coat, look a bit gray?
Silverine
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote: I thought so too!
Kind of a shame she's not part of a color project. I'm actually hoping to eventually breed all of those additional characteristics out.

So you think the combos of pangare and the cream is what's adding up to make her blown-adult (1 year) coat, look a bit gray?
I think it's all of it - cream, pangare, roan, lp. The roan creeps up into the face, making the cheek lighter which gives the visual illusion that everything else is lighter, then the pangare comes along with the cream to compound the problem by making the muzzle super light and have more color-creep along the top of the face. Then - since the pic was taken at 1.5 years - you have the varnish coming in to round things out.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote: I thought so too!

I think it's all of it - cream, pangare, roan, lp. The roan creeps up into the face, making the cheek lighter which gives the visual illusion that everything else is lighter, then the pangare comes along with the cream to compound the problem by making the muzzle super light and have more color-creep along the top of the face. Then - since the pic was taken at 1.5 years - you have the varnish coming in to round things out.
Thanks. It's really neat to see how they programed the game's genes to interact with each other. Still throws me off sometimes. Like that earlier one that I still say can't just be a black and silver stallion! Ha! :D
Silverine
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote: Thanks. It's really neat to see how they programed the game's genes to interact with each other. Still throws me off sometimes. Like that earlier one that I still say can't just be a black and silver stallion! Ha! :D
Haha! Silver can do some very strange things. If you look back through his pedigree he has some ancestors that look very similar, but minus the metallic.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote: Thanks. It's really neat to see how they programed the game's genes to interact with each other. Still throws me off sometimes. Like that earlier one that I still say can't just be a black and silver stallion! Ha! :D
Haha! Silver can do some very strange things. If you look back through his pedigree he has some ancestors that look very similar, but minus the metallic.
I do wonder if we have a couple different 'silver' genes. I swear that silver can throw flaxen on chestnut.
Of course since silver can offer dapples on black, maybe there's some unintentional shadings that occur sometimes. That stallion just seemed to have too much red-like tint. That being said, I know you're right.

He would have been an excellent addition to my silver study. I didn't have any with his reddish-like adult tint:
http://www.horseworldonline.net/forum/v ... =13&t=9386
I even had to go back and look at it.
Silverine
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote: I do wonder if we have a couple different 'silver' genes. I swear that silver can throw flaxen on chestnut.
Of course since silver can offer dapples on black, maybe there's some unintentional shadings that occur sometimes. That stallion just seemed to have too much red-like tint. That being said, I know you're right.

He would have been an excellent addition to my silver study. I didn't have any with his reddish-like adult tint:
You also didn't have roan. Maybe that has something to do with it.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote: I do wonder if we have a couple different 'silver' genes. I swear that silver can throw flaxen on chestnut.

You also didn't have roan. Maybe that has something to do with it.
Very, very possible. Rather probable. I didn't add any roan to that study to keep it very basic.
Silverine
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote: Very, very possible. Rather probable. I didn't add any roan to that study to keep it very basic.
Either way, it's a pretty color. :)
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat May 04, 2024 1:03 pm

It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 1:03 pm