Community Forum

What makes you decide to train a horse?

Need some help figuring out part of the game? Post your questions here and we'll be glad to help you out.
MuddyPuddles
Visit My Farm

What makes you decide to train a horse?

Post by MuddyPuddles »

What makes you decide to train a specific horse?

I have barns full of horses and I don't know which one's would be worth training and which would be best kept just to breed. How do you decide?

I've currently been entering horses into local shows and if they win 3x in one discipline above Level 5 then I will train them. I'm not sure if this is the best way to decide so any advice would be appreciated.

Also... do you have a limit on how many horses you will train at one time?
Given the amount of time it takes to train one horse each day do you set a limit so you can train x amount of horses as quickly as possible?

Thanks
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: What makes you decide to train a horse?

Post by BlackOak2 »

MuddyPuddles wrote:What makes you decide to train a specific horse?

I have barns full of horses and I don't know which one's would be worth training and which would be best kept just to breed. How do you decide?

I've currently been entering horses into local shows and if they win 3x in one discipline above Level 5 then I will train them. I'm not sure if this is the best way to decide so any advice would be appreciated.

Given the amount of time it takes to train one horse each day do you set a limit so you can train x amount of horses as quickly as possible?

Thanks
I'm nominally a breeding farm.
Usually what makes me train a horse is to answer a question I have. For instance... can a horse with extremely low GP still be a great competitor?

I am answering this question... slowly. Yes, an extremely low GP horse can compete, and put up a good fight. But don't expect them to do much of anything.

Otherwise, I will train to compete to gauge where my breeding stock is... to make sure they're not suffering from weak or poor competition hearts. These horses if they have an HGP above 40k, I'll train up and expect them to pull nominal first place in local shows in a given discipline at level 8, 9 or 10. If they can't pull nominal firsts at these levels, then it may mean my stock is lacking something. This would mean that at least at level 5 in local shows, pre-trained, they should be pulling firsts easily.
At least, that's the way I work it.

During training, I like to train no more than three at a time, staggered, about a year apart. This way I can train at my optimum. My training (as well I assume everybody's) eats up more time in training during the later third of their training career versus the two first thirds. So having them staggered about a year, enables me to not run out of too much time every turn.

I don't often train horses, let alone train multiple at a time.
QuesthavenFarms
Visit My Farm

Post by QuesthavenFarms »

I train one at a time. Stallions only. They have to have good stats for there breed. Some of my breeds don't get trained as their stats are not good enough yet. Also, I train some as burners.
Tisha
Visit My Farm

Post by Tisha »

MuddyPuddles wrote:What makes you decide to train a specific horse?

Thanks
I train two to three horses at the same time, it depends on the foal crop. If I think that a horse is promising, or that it can make a money in player-made competitions or being sold to various players at high prices, I'll train it. With simple math, I can train a horse fully, all at least 99.9% a couple of 100% and one 99.8%(stamina) Other times, I just like to see the horse's coat shine from all the training. To see if a horse should be trained, local shows is a good way but I usually do not use that. I evaluate the Breeder's Report. I am familiar with the comments which probably state that this stat is probably higher on a horse with a particular gold stat(conformation) than another stat from a different horse with the same gold stat, though I could be wrong.
It's actually best to use the breeders report along with the confro scores.

In the unlikely event that I'm wrong, you can ignore this post :lol:
Last edited by Tisha on Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ard
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Ard »

I train for looks usually, training a horse to high levels makes the coat all shiny and actually changes their physical appearance also (more muscular + less pointy).
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat May 04, 2024 9:09 am

It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 9:09 am