Community Forum

Alpha2 is Online!

Official announcements about the new game.
larissar
Site Admin
Site Admin
Visit My Farm

Alpha2 is Online!

Post by larissar »

Well I've managed to do it with only 1.5 hours left to spare! Alpha2 is now online. So what can you expect? Well, lots of broken thing, and some working things.

What To Expect

The work over the last few months has primarily been on the framework which controls nearly the entire website. Individual features were less priority over how things will work on the whole so at first glance functionally of the site is basically the same. What this means though is that going forward I can create new features significantly faster by not having to rewrite similar code over and over.

In addition to the backend framework I've also been focusing on how error handling happens between the front end and back end as much of the site is primarily through javascript ajax calls. Again this is somewhere I didn't want to have to write the same code over and over so I've taken advantage of available code and written my own to simplify this as well.

The third focus has been migrating the front end over to the new (mostly) responsive website. I haven't tested on actual devices as of yet so I'm sure there will be some issues which we'll work through gradually. Also, not every feature from Alpha1 has been implemented in the front end. Training is one example.

What Doesn't Work

Training hasn't been reconnected to the front end. Retiring/rehome horses will appear to work but I didn't connect to the function yet. I'll get this done tomorrow. You'll need it since pastures how have limits (16 horses for now, this will change very soon).
Trainers Report is just placeholder text. The code for that hasn't changed I just haven't made the variable available in the template simply because I haven't done that entire panel just yet. I'll be working on that throughout the week. In fact the entire horse page will be my focus over the next week. This will include selling and studding horses which is about 80% finished now too.
Skills page will appear like it's not working, but it is still working. You'll just have to refresh the page to see the changes after clicking the button. This is because I haven't added in the ajax response to the button click. Skills page hasn't been a priority for me right now.
You have all your skills from the previous version, but the page doesn't show you the actual numbers right now. This is probably a tiny fix I just haven't looked into yet.

Changes

Aging has changed. Horses will now age by 2 weeks every "turn" instead of 30 days.
This will make things somewhat annoying at first since there isn't anything else to do but breed horses.
There are new skills to learn which relate to breeding. This will control how many mares you can have pregnant at once. It should be working.
Pedigrees work as do COIs. I've noticed there seems to be an error with selecting what breed a cross bred horse is. I'll look into this probably by the weekend.
I've made an adjustment to breeding which adds in an small element of genetic mutation on some genes. This is necessary for trying to create some new breeds as otherwise horses which potentially could create a new breed, but which don't because of a specific feature of genetics, could end up frustrating a user endlessly. I haven't made any changes with breed data yet.

Final Notes
It's 10:30. I've been programming for about 2 days straight. I'm sure I'm forgetting something here. I can barely see straight.
Please report all bugs. I'll fix up everything.
No, I'm not sure right now why there are so many cream based Arabians. Probably due to a change I made in preparation of adding in sex-linked genes. I'll look into this.

Have fun.

Would love to know your thoughts.
Argent
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester
Visit My Farm

Re: Alpha2 is Online!

Post by Argent »

Hrm... how do I get horses? I'm being told that my pastures are full, but also that I've yet to build a farm.

I'll be back to gush about your amazingness <3

EDIT:I'd like to see Equine Repro changed to Broodmare Management, and a separate EqRep set of courses added for reproductive practices (repro soundness exams, artificial insemination, embryo transfer) Spoke too soon. But still, I think that the lower levels of EqRep should not be about keeping broodmares, but basic repro care, and then you move up to stud/brood mgmt
larissar
Site Admin
Site Admin
Visit My Farm

Post by larissar »

Argent wrote:Hrm... how do I get horses? I'm being told that my pastures are full, but also that I've yet to build a farm.
What do you see when you go to your farm page? You should see a single pasture with a clickable label (the label won't be aligned properly with the farm until you click the page, fixing that is on my todo list)
I think that the lower levels of EqRep should not be about keeping broodmares, but basic repro care, and then you move up to stud/brood mgmt
What would the lower levels of EqRep do though if not increase the number of broodmares you can have? Each course would need to effect a skill. We can certainly adjust the names of each skill.

Perhaps the name 'Equine Reproduction' should be saved for the Vet skill tree? The plan eventually is that mating won't always result in a foal so the player can either take a few turns and see if the mare looks pregnant, or have a vet check to determine for sure. Breeding costs energy for both mare and stallion to prevent just repetitive clicking the mate button. Also horses will eventually have a fertility rating (partly genetic) which could make it difficult for some horses to breed.
Argent
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester
Visit My Farm

Post by Argent »

larissar wrote: What do you see when you go to your farm page? You should see a single pasture with a clickable label (the label won't be aligned properly with the farm until you click the page, fixing that is on my todo list)
http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z47 ... g~original
Apparently I can't post images, but there's the link.
larissar wrote: What would the lower levels of EqRep do though if not increase the number of broodmares you can have? Each course would need to effect a skill. We can certainly adjust the names of each skill.
Argent wrote: I'd like to see Equine Repro changed to Broodmare Management, and a separate EqRep set of courses added for reproductive practices (repro soundness exams, artificial insemination, embryo transfer)
^That. So learning the EqRep skills would allow you to perform accurate breeding soundness exams and preg checks (with increasing numbers of horses per turn or just increasing certainty), time the ovulation of donor and surrogate mares better (with increasing amounts of embyros flushed, increasing embryo viability, successful implantation and carrying to term), and increase the viability/motility of sperm collected and improve how well it freezes.
larissar wrote: Perhaps the name 'Equine Reproduction' should be saved for the Vet skill tree? The plan eventually is that mating won't always result in a foal so the player can either take a few turns and see if the mare looks pregnant, or have a vet check to determine for sure. Breeding costs energy for both mare and stallion to prevent just repetitive clicking the mate button. Also horses will eventually have a fertility rating (partly genetic) which could make it difficult for some horses to breed.
Equine Repro definitely belongs under the Veterinary heading; it's not something one can do well without formal training, and in many cases procedures must be performed by a vet.
larissar
Site Admin
Site Admin
Visit My Farm

Post by larissar »

Argent wrote:
http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z47 ... g~original
Apparently I can't post images, but there's the link.
I've reset your user data, see if it works now.
Argent
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester
Visit My Farm

Post by Argent »

No go :(
larissar
Site Admin
Site Admin
Visit My Farm

Post by larissar »

Can you join me in chat when you have a moment and help me work through this?

Actually try again now. I may have fixed it.
Argent
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester
Visit My Farm

Post by Argent »

I haz farm!

EDIT: Are all of the breed recipes up and running? Are there any changes to the Lipizzan?
larissar
Site Admin
Site Admin
Visit My Farm

Post by larissar »

All breed recipes are the same as previously. I haven't made any changes here just yet.
Argent
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester
Visit My Farm

Post by Argent »

Notes:
1. A mute button for the next turn chime, please? It was cute at first but now it's driving me crazy
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri May 03, 2024 10:17 pm

It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 10:17 pm