Community Forum

Upcoming Reset

Official announcements about the new game.
larissar
Site Admin
Site Admin
Visit My Farm

Upcoming Reset

Post by larissar »

The first beta reset will happen next weekend after the winner for the Pasture Decorating contest is determined.

Our brand-spanking new server has been setup and is nearly ready to go live. We've been using CloudFlare for content delivery since the beta game opened but now we'll also be making use of Amazon's S3 storage system which means the server itself won't have to deal with all the content requests (images, javascript, etc.) and can focus on it's own task of generating the game pages. For now to keep costs low the horse coat renderer is living on the same server as the as the game (previously it had it's own smaller server) but since we've beef'd up the server I think it can handle both the game and the renderer for now. Everything has been setup to scale performance for hundreds of users.

More details will be posted in the days leading up to the reset. This is just your advanced notice.
Nate
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester
Visit My Farm

Re: Upcoming Reset

Post by Nate »

You know, Morby was just saying how she would finally finish the four day course she started and you would reset the game! Little did she know...
Signature? I don't need no stinkin' signature! Everybody knows who I am already!
OnlyLegends
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Visit My Farm

Post by OnlyLegends »

That's kinda funny. I am getting so close to breeding my Canadian Warmblood too. I guess ill haveto start over with better horses! :)
larissar
Site Admin
Site Admin
Visit My Farm

Post by larissar »

Just a little update for you guys. I believe I've got everything in place for the move. There are a few hiccups I'm noticing but I think they will mostly be moving pains and should clear up fairly quickly.

The plan is to put the game into maintenance mode sometime early afternoon on Saturday. The move shouldn't take very long at all since it's a reset as well as a move. Pretty much only the database needs to move and it's small still. The longest delay will be in waiting for the IP change to propagate throughout the internet. I'll post details on our facebook and twitter during the move so you'll be able to check when the move and reset is completed.
Nate
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester
Visit My Farm

Post by Nate »

Will there be any updates along with the reset, like gene rarity in the adoption center?
Signature? I don't need no stinkin' signature! Everybody knows who I am already!
larissar
Site Admin
Site Admin
Visit My Farm

Post by larissar »

Nate wrote:Will there be any updates along with the reset, like gene rarity in the adoption center?
Sounds like a good idea to me. I'm working on gene rarity now, plus an update to the way genetics are stored which makes is even easier then before to add in new genes.

Also, I think I'll get the public stallion breeding part added in too, because there is a lot of value in that.

Probably also a few little things too but I'll post more details later.
larissar
Site Admin
Site Admin
Visit My Farm

Post by larissar »

Okay so obviously this reset is taking much longer than planned.
You can all glare menacingly towards Nate for suggesting gene rarity in adoption center horses :)
Thats what's causing the hold up, I decided this would be a good time to update the data structure for all the genetics, thus making it even easy to add in gene rarity and also new genes in the future. The code is nearly finished, but there's a good chance I just might run out of time tonight and I'll have to continue it tomorrow. Rest assured though that by the end of the weekend the reset and server migration will be completed.
OnlyLegends
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Visit My Farm

Post by OnlyLegends »

*Glaring menacingly at Nate!!!* lol just kidding Nate, we all like you!

Give it all the time you need L. The reset will get here eventually! And I think these are all good goals for right now! take time for yourself and family too!

Thanks for the update L.
Nate
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester
Visit My Farm

Post by Nate »

You dare blame me!?!? I mean it's appropriate, but the nerve of you!
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri May 03, 2024 5:41 pm

It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 5:41 pm