That Moment When...

BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: That Moment When...

Post by BlackOak2 »

RenegadePegasus wrote: That moment when...
You’re working on creating a breed...
And you’ve got a really, REALLY, short Mare that you think will be perfect for those tall studs...
And you have bought basically her whole pedigree...
And finally when the foal comes...
And it ends up being 32 inches.

*note this is a 12.0hh 1/2 BELGIAN mare, bred to a 18.2hh PERCHERON stud. It’s not just one screwup, she’s had so many short foals. I guess shortness is dominate in her family. :lol:
:lol:
Funny how those things work.
It's amazing how strong some of these genes can be, even when crossed to 'polar' opposites.
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
RenegadePegasus
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by RenegadePegasus »

BlackOak2 wrote:
RenegadePegasus wrote: That moment when...
You’re working on creating a breed...
And you’ve got a really, REALLY, short Mare that you think will be perfect for those tall studs...
And you have bought basically her whole pedigree...
And finally when the foal comes...
And it ends up being 32 inches.

*note this is a 12.0hh 1/2 BELGIAN mare, bred to a 18.2hh PERCHERON stud. It’s not just one screwup, she’s had so many short foals. I guess shortness is dominate in her family. :lol:
It's amazing how strong some of these genes can be, even when crossed to 'polar' opposites.
I know! Now though, I had a hilarious thought: In-Hand Jumping Belgians! :lol:
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

RenegadePegasus wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:
I know! Now though, I had a hilarious thought: In-Hand Jumping Belgians! :lol:
Go for it!
They'll be another contest coming out very soon, either by myself or _H a z e l_ for in-hands with an Esperia filly as the prize. When she was born, she become the only one alive on HWO. That might have changed in the past couple days though...

But it won't be too long at all, until that contest is set up.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Tjigra
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Tjigra »

On the same note...
That moment when you breed a 16.3hh mare to a 15.1hh stud, hoping to get somewhere around 16hh foal (9.something at birth).
The foal is born, and it's 28".
(95% Arabian mix with Teke, with a single Caspian thrown into that line some 6 generations ago - that line was prone to throw some odd small foals, but seriously - this far down the line???)
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Tjigra wrote:On the same note...
That moment when you breed a 16.3hh mare to a 15.1hh stud, hoping to get somewhere around 16hh foal (9.something at birth).
(95% Arabian mix with Teke, with a single Caspian thrown into that line some 6 generations ago - that line was prone to throw some odd small foals, but seriously - this far down the line???)
What else can you do???? :roll:

That mare that threw the same size foal as she was, did it two more times... :roll:

It really is like: HOW is this POSSIBLE????

:mrgreen:
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Tjigra
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Tjigra »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Tjigra wrote:On the same note...

That mare that threw the same size foal as she was, did it two more times... :roll:

I bred that same pair back together to see if it was an odd one out, or if the error is repeatable :D

A couple of generations back in that line I bought an Arabian x Caspian mare (already two generations away from the Caspian ancestor) to try for a Persian Arabian. Mare was a bit biggish for the recipe, so I paired her with a smallish Arabian stud. The first foal was even bigger than the mare was, so I rebred them in hopes to get a smaller foal next time. Next filly was tiny, waaaaay too small to fit the evaluation. Next was too big again. I sold the mare and tried to get a Persian from her small daughter. Same story - too big, too small, too big, an odd one perfectly sized, then back to too big, too small. I've still only got the one Persian Arabian (I am trying to create every breed twice, to do the quests on both accounts I have).
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Tjigra wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:

I bred that same pair back together to see if it was an odd one out, or if the error is repeatable :D

A couple of generations back in that line I bought an Arabian x Caspian mare (already two generations away from the Caspian ancestor) to try for a Persian Arabian. Mare was a bit biggish for the recipe, so I paired her with a smallish Arabian stud. The first foal was even bigger than the mare was, so I rebred them in hopes to get a smaller foal next time. Next filly was tiny, waaaaay too small to fit the evaluation. Next was too big again. I sold the mare and tried to get a Persian from her small daughter. Same story - too big, too small, too big, an odd one perfectly sized, then back to too big, too small. I've still only got the one Persian Arabian (I am trying to create every breed twice, to do the quests on both accounts I have).
Wow... what luck. :|
I've had that happen with breedings too. Everything around the size required BUT the size required. And the parents were within the requirements.

And I've had a LOT of trouble with the arabians. They love throwing tall and super light. EveryWhere! Like belgians, they like the tall. Tarpans prefer to remain medium pony. Shetland genes like to hide until just the most inopportune moments... and one of those AC breeds likes to pull the wrench in the mechanism every time you want to go UPWARD in HGP and report... though it escapes me which one right now. And that's just those I remember. :lol:
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Tjigra
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Tjigra »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Tjigra wrote: A couple of generations back in that line I bought an Arabian x Caspian mare (already two generations away from the Caspian ancestor) to try for a Persian Arabian. Mare was a bit biggish for the recipe, so I paired her with a smallish Arabian stud. The first foal was even bigger than the mare was, so I rebred them in hopes to get a smaller foal next time. Next filly was tiny, waaaaay too small to fit the evaluation. Next was too big again. I sold the mare and tried to get a Persian from her small daughter. Same story - too big, too small, too big, an odd one perfectly sized, then back to too big, too small. I've still only got the one Persian Arabian (I am trying to create every breed twice, to do the quests on both accounts I have).
Turned out, all I needed to do to get another Persian was write about my luck here. Next turn I took on that ranch - I got a pretty new perfect Persian filly :)
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Tjigra wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:
Turned out, all I needed to do to get another Persian was write about my luck here. Next turn I took on that ranch - I got a pretty new perfect Persian filly :)
And I repeat:
Wow... what luck! :lol:

Congratulations. 8-)
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Studz
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Studz »

i took months to breed sanhes and anadolu pownies :( i forgot to check if it was a quest .. twice.
all that work for nothing hahah
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Tue May 21, 2024 1:57 am

It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 1:57 am