Community Forum

Having problems with my mare's weight.

Need some help figuring out part of the game? Post your questions here and we'll be glad to help you out.
Caramelapple3
Visit My Farm

Having problems with my mare's weight.

Post by Caramelapple3 »

You are probably guessing my horse is fat. But actually, it's the other way around. My horses weight is poor. I have her in a barn, and I have been experimenting with her feed, but she never seems to gain weight. I put her on 100% weight gain mix, 100% yellow corn, 100% performance mix, and 100% alfalfa hay. She still won't gain weight! This is a problem for me because this mare is my competition horse. Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong?
Tjigra
Visit My Farm

Re: Having problems with my mare's weight.

Post by Tjigra »

Caramelapple3 wrote:You are probably guessing my horse is fat. But actually, it's the other way around. My horses weight is poor. I have her in a barn, and I have been experimenting with her feed, but she never seems to gain weight. I put her on 100% weight gain mix, 100% yellow corn, 100% performance mix, and 100% alfalfa hay. She still won't gain weight! This is a problem for me because this mare is my competition horse. Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong?
You are overfeeding her. Below the feed options and different food contents bars there are some numbers regarding how much the horse can eat, and how much you are trying to give to her. Regular feed means the amount of food you have currently selected, and max feed - how much the horse can possibly physically stomach. When the former exceeds the latter, the numbers go read, meaning the horse can't possibly eat everything you offer.
Next thing is, horses are eating their feed in the order it is listed in the feed options. Hay is first, so the horses always eat it first (if that is selected). Hay is a very low energy feed, so probably only ponies can get enough energy from hay (or grass, if in pasture) only. You must feed them something with more calories. But, if you select 100% hay, they stuff themselves with hay, don't get enough calories, and don't even get to start on anything else. So the trick is to mix and match their feed in a way that keeps the daily energy around 100% (or if you need them to lose or gain weight, below or above that), and still keep the regular feed numbers below max feed numbers. The exact mix varies from horse to horse a lot, so there is no ready recipe to follow, you just have to find your own balance.
The third part of the trick is trying to keep the horse getting enough of all three food contents (protein, fiber and sugar). Nothing bad happens if you don't manage this (at least yet), but in order to get the horse to gain weight, you should increase its sugar intake, in order to lose weight, go heavy on fiber. The same also influences their temperament (horses become hotter if their sugar intake is above their everyday need, and cool down if it is below).

Hope this helps :)
Caramelapple3
Visit My Farm

Post by Caramelapple3 »

Tjigra wrote:
Caramelapple3 wrote:You are probably guessing my horse is fat. But actually, it's the other way around. My horses weight is poor. I have her in a barn, and I have been experimenting with her feed, but she never seems to gain weight. I put her on 100% weight gain mix, 100% yellow corn, 100% performance mix, and 100% alfalfa hay. She still won't gain weight! This is a problem for me because this mare is my competition horse. Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong?
You are overfeeding her. Below the feed options and different food contents bars there are some numbers regarding how much the horse can eat, and how much you are trying to give to her. Regular feed means the amount of food you have currently selected, and max feed - how much the horse can possibly physically stomach. When the former exceeds the latter, the numbers go read, meaning the horse can't possibly eat everything you offer.
Next thing is, horses are eating their feed in the order it is listed in the feed options. Hay is first, so the horses always eat it first (if that is selected). Hay is a very low energy feed, so probably only ponies can get enough energy from hay (or grass, if in pasture) only. You must feed them something with more calories. But, if you select 100% hay, they stuff themselves with hay, don't get enough calories, and don't even get to start on anything else. So the trick is to mix and match their feed in a way that keeps the daily energy around 100% (or if you need them to lose or gain weight, below or above that), and still keep the regular feed numbers below max feed numbers. The exact mix varies from horse to horse a lot, so there is no ready recipe to follow, you just have to find your own balance.
The third part of the trick is trying to keep the horse getting enough of all three food contents (protein, fiber and sugar). Nothing bad happens if you don't manage this (at least yet), but in order to get the horse to gain weight, you should increase its sugar intake, in order to lose weight, go heavy on fiber. The same also influences their temperament (horses become hotter if their sugar intake is above their everyday need, and cool down if it is below).

Thanks.
PeacefulOreo
Visit My Farm

Post by PeacefulOreo »

Caramelapple3 wrote:
Tjigra wrote: You are overfeeding her. Below the feed options and different food contents bars there are some numbers regarding how much the horse can eat, and how much you are trying to give to her. Regular feed means the amount of food you have currently selected, and max feed - how much the horse can possibly physically stomach. When the former exceeds the latter, the numbers go read, meaning the horse can't possibly eat everything you offer.

Thanks.
Try feeding your horse in a pasture too with 100% Weight Gain Mix.
PeacefulOreo
Visit My Farm

Post by PeacefulOreo »

Caramelapple3 wrote:
Tjigra wrote: You are overfeeding her. Below the feed options and different food contents bars there are some numbers regarding how much the horse can eat, and how much you are trying to give to her. Regular feed means the amount of food you have currently selected, and max feed - how much the horse can possibly physically stomach. When the former exceeds the latter, the numbers go read, meaning the horse can't possibly eat everything you offer.

Thanks.
Here's something that I've already posted that might help you:
PeacefulOreo wrote:When you're on a horse's page, you should see a vertical section on the far left that has the horse's breed, age, gender, etc. At the bottom of that, the horse's feed, it shows a % of the horse's feed. Generally you want that % to be pretty close to 100% to keep the horse from losing weight and/or gaining weight (some will still lose weight even with 100%, in the barns usually horses under 2 years old, so to keep them from losing weight the pasture is better). If you want the horse to lose weight, you feed the horse less than 100% (Needs to be decently low for the horse to lose weight) but that also means that the horse's energy won't be at 100% because the horse isn't eating enough. To make a horse gain weight, you need to feed the horse more than 100% (Needs to be decently high for the horse to gain weight). Under feeding your horse or overfeeding your horse doesn't effect the horse's health but it is part of many factors of how the horse does in a competition (Example: horses that are competing in Racing usually needs to be thin to moderately thin). Other things that affects the horse's results in a competition are temperament, conformation, build, and breeders report. Putting a horse in the paddock is a bit less expensive than in a barn because in a pasture, the horse is getting mostly grass and therefore needs less feed than a horse in the barn since the barn doesn't have any grass for the horse to eat. But, the barn is a good place to put a horse in that you want to lose weight. With the paddocks, like real world grass, can grow in the spring and summer and die out in the fall and winter. But with barns, you don't have to worry about the grass growing/dying.

Also, with feeds, different feeds can either raise, lower, or keep the horse's temperament the same. Like for instance, Sweet Feed will raise a horse's temperament (Example: from spirited to high strung) because it is high on sugar but Performance Mix can lower the temperament (Example: from high strung to spirited) and/or kept the horse's temperament the same since it isn't high on sugar. But, the horse's temperament is also part genetics too. For example, if a dam is high strung and so is the sire, the foal will most likely have a high strung temperament. If the dam is high strung and the sire is bombproof, the foal could be high strung, bombproof, even-tempered, spirited, and/or calm. If both of a foal's parents are bombproof, the foal will most likely be bombproof. With bombproof temperaments, it either can't be raised at all, or it can be raised slightly but it is extremely hard to do so.
Caramelapple3
Visit My Farm

Post by Caramelapple3 »

PeacefulOreo wrote:Okay. Thanks! This was very helpful.
PeacefulOreo
Visit My Farm

Post by PeacefulOreo »

Caramelapple3 wrote:
PeacefulOreo wrote:Okay. Thanks! This was very helpful.
No problem! Happy to help! :D
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sun May 05, 2024 11:09 pm

It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 11:09 pm