Community Forum

What color are these 3 horses?

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
LadyRuthven
Visit My Farm

What color are these 3 horses?

Post by LadyRuthven »

So, these 3 horses have a really cool coat color and I absolutely love it. But the problem is I am just not sure what to the color is. :lol:

What color are these horses?

.:RS:. Tsunami

.:RS:. Coffee Shop Cool

.:RS:. Big Bear

You will have to click on his profile, cause the pic is not current. I am going to sell this guy, btw...so if you want him, let me know...I just want him to go to a good home. He is so pretty, but doesn't fit into my breeding program.
Ruthven Stables - Spanish Jennet Breeder
Shared Farm Log

My other Farms:
Byron Farms
Shelley's Boarding

Veterinarian
Visit My Farm

Re: What color are these 3 horses?

Post by Veterinarian »

LadyRuthven wrote:So, these 3 horses have a really cool coat color and I absolutely love it. But the problem is I am just not sure what the color is. :lol:

You will have to click on his profile, cause the pic is not current. I am going to sell this guy, btw...so if you want him, let me know...I just want him to go to a good home. He is so pretty, but doesn't fit into my breeding program.
Alright, they are all the same color but the third one does not have dapples.

They all carry 1 copy of the cream gene, the silver gene and champagne.

It is a bit hard to see whether they are on black/bay/brown but according to their pedigrees they are on bay (not black) or brown since your first colt's sire is brown based. However, I am pretty sure that they are bays since I can't see any hints of different coloration on their bellies.

So my final guess is Silver Amber Cream

PS: I am interested in buying them :lol:
BlackOak2 wrote:ping
Hey BlackOak2 can you help with this?
LadyRuthven
Visit My Farm

Post by LadyRuthven »

Veterinarian wrote:
LadyRuthven wrote:So, these 3 horses have a really cool coat color and I absolutely love it. But the problem is I am just not sure what the color is. :lol:

Alright, they are all the same color but the third one does not have dapples.

They all carry 1 copy of the cream gene, the silver gene and champagne.

It is a bit hard to see whether they are on black/bay/brown but according to their pedigrees they are on bay (not black) or brown since your first colt's sire is brown based. However, I am pretty sure that they are bays since I can't see any hints of different coloration on their bellies.

So my final guess is Silver Amber Cream

PS: I am interested in buying them :lol:
Yeah, That's the closest to what i was thinking they might be. I'll see if can update the two younger ones pics real quick since they are older now and are both showing Dapples. But I really like this color. It's so different. I think I might put Big Bear through some training to see what it looks like once the coat is all shiny. Thanks for helping in this. :D
Shared Farm Log

My other Farms:
Byron Farms
Shelley's Boarding

BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Ignore this one, it was really screwed up... and rather than edit, I quoted instead. :roll:
Last edited by BlackOak2 on Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Veterinarian wrote:
LadyRuthven wrote:....

We're forgetting (as I often do), that there are three genes that allow dapples to appear. Sooty dapples, Graying dapples and black with silver dapples.

These horses are not the first two types of dapples. :mrgreen: Need there be more hints then that? 8-)
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
LadyRuthven
Visit My Farm

Post by LadyRuthven »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Veterinarian wrote:

We're forgetting (as I often do), that there are three genes that allow dapples to appear. Sooty dapples, Graying dapples and black with silver dapples.

These horses are not the first two types of dapples. :mrgreen: Need there be more hints then that? 8-)
So, does that mean that they might just be the elusive Silver Black Dapple Pearls?!?! :shock: :D Oh, I hope so!
Shared Farm Log

My other Farms:
Byron Farms
Shelley's Boarding

BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

LadyRuthven wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:

So, does that mean that they might just be the elusive Silver Black Dapple Pearls?!?! :shock: :D Oh, I hope so!
In this case, being dapple pearls along with champagne would mean they would be triple dilutes (since a single pearl offers no color dilution alone). Your horses have cream in their line and no immediate signs of pearl. So they wouldn't be pearls. They'd be creams. And only one cream. If they were triple dilutes, they'd be much closer to pseudo-whites and we might have a much greater difficulty even seeing the dapples. Yours are double dilutes. Cream and champagne, paired with silver on black. So silver dappled classic creams.

Sorry to disappoint. :mrgreen:
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
LadyRuthven
Visit My Farm

Post by LadyRuthven »

BlackOak2 wrote:
LadyRuthven wrote:
In this case, being dapple pearls along with champagne would mean they would be triple dilutes (since a single pearl offers no color dilution alone). Your horses have cream in their line and no immediate signs of pearl. So they wouldn't be pearls. They'd be creams. And only one cream. If they were triple dilutes, they'd be much closer to pseudo-whites and we might have a much greater difficulty even seeing the dapples. Yours are double dilutes. Cream and champagne, paired with silver on black. So silver dappled classic creams.

Oh, interesting...good to know. Not too disappointed though, as i really like these. lol I feel I am getting close to it though.

Would you happen to have an example of a Silver Black Dapple Pearl horse by chance or find one? Now I just want to see one because I'm better at visuals. lol

I use the guide alot in trying to figure out the colors and it is great with explaining the genes but I wish the guide was updated to include more examples of dilutes and to fill in those pictures that are missing. It really helps when you can see the horses.

Thanks again. You are so good at this stuff. :D :lol:
Shared Farm Log

My other Farms:
Byron Farms
Shelley's Boarding

Veterinarian
Visit My Farm

Post by Veterinarian »

BlackOak2 wrote:
LadyRuthven wrote:

Is there a guide to the three genes that make dapples appear? I am not informed on this subject at all lol
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Veterinarian wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:

Is there a guide to the three genes that make dapples appear? I am not informed on this subject at all lol
That's Totina's color guide, I think, that LadyRuthven is likely talking about, Veterinarian.

I have some double pearls in my low GP project, but not double pearls paired with silver on black... yet. They'll eventually get there. So I visited one of the front-breeders of the silver dapple black pearl to find one for you.

He's a great example of a silver dapple black pearl. Besides the pseudo-pangare you see. Take a look at his dark eyes, his pink skin, these, coupled with the bright body. The light body is a good indication of a dilute at work, and being so bright there's a double dilute at work. With no champagne freckles, we know it's not a champagne dilute, so that leaves the creams and pearls. The dark eyes give it away. Double dilutes of cream and pearl or two creams will always result in blue eyes. Because we have a double dilute that is NOT a champagne, that is also displaying dark eyes, we can assume that it is a double pearl.

There is somewhere a forum that discusses the double pearls, but it's not exactly a guide.
I can offer some pearl rules though.

Pearl Rules
--> a single cream cannot have pearl
--> recessive gene
--> shares locus with cream (which means you can only have two creams, a cream and a pearl or two pearls, you CAN'T have two creams and a pearl or two pearls and a cream or two pearls and two creams)
--> pearl can be mistaken for double cream, except pearl offers darker manes and dark eyes
--> two single creams parents --> a single or double pearl can never come from two single creams
--> single cream & solid parents --> a double pearl can never come from a single cream regardless of the other color
--> two solids parents --> can produce a double pearl, each parent is single pearl carrier
--> one solid & double dilute parents --> can produce a double pearl, each parent is single pearl carrier
--> two double dilutes --> can produce a double pearl, each parent is single pearl carrier

I can further explain the pearl rules if you get caught on something.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri May 03, 2024 1:36 pm

It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 1:36 pm