Community Forum

Line of Dots?

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
ArcticDahlia
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Line of Dots?

Post by ArcticDahlia »

Aila

I've had this mare from the AC for a while, and while I was on her page I pressed the wrong key and accidentally zoomed in on her. When that happened, I noticed this straight line of mostly black but some white dots even over the tobiano. The dots over the tobiano are black and the ones over regular coloring are mostly white.

I thought it might be a graphics glitch and went through a bunch of other horses but none of them have that. On top of that, it appears to an extent that two of her foals inherited the same line of dots in the same place. Her first foal (Leviathan) has two and her second foal (Aspen) has the full line.

It's just so perfectly straight it seems weird to me, but the fact a few of her foals seem to have gotten it makes me wonder if it has something to do with her actual genes. What is this strange line caused by?
Jockey
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: Line of Dots?

Post by Jockey »

ArcticDahlia wrote:Aila

I've had this mare from the AC for a while, and while I was on her page I pressed the wrong key and accidentally zoomed in on her. When that happened, I noticed this straight line of mostly black but some white dots even over the tobiano. The dots over the tobiano are black and the ones over regular coloring are mostly white.

I thought it might be a graphics glitch and went through a bunch of other horses but none of them have that. On top of that, it appears to an extent that two of her foals inherited the same line of dots in the same place. Her first foal (Leviathan) has two and her second foal (Aspen) has the full line.

It's just so perfectly straight it seems weird to me, but the fact a few of her foals seem to have gotten it makes me wonder if it has something to do with her actual genes. What is this strange line caused by?
I'm pretty sure that this barring happens when the horse has the dun gene; I have some horses with it. So, the dun gene showed up in a couple of her offspring. :)
ArcticDahlia
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by ArcticDahlia »

Oh ok, thank you! It was just so uniform and I didn't know any color could show over white markings. I knew the leg stripes were from dun but I thought the dots might have had something to do with roan.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

ArcticDahlia wrote:Oh ok, thank you! It was just so uniform and I didn't know any color could show over white markings. I knew the leg stripes were from dun but I thought the dots might have had something to do with roan.
You're talking about that line going right through her body just above her elbow, right? I think this is actually a graphics artifact. Some of these horses, when they render, they get strange lines over them. Sometimes it looks a bit more like a webbing, sometimes it's just weird triangles.

The following horse image demonstrates what I mean quite well.

Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Silverine
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote:
ArcticDahlia wrote:Oh ok, thank you! It was just so uniform and I didn't know any color could show over white markings. I knew the leg stripes were from dun but I thought the dots might have had something to do with roan.
You're talking about that line going right through her body just above her elbow, right? I think this is actually a graphics artifact. Some of these horses, when they render, they get strange lines over them. Sometimes it looks a bit more like a webbing, sometimes it's just weird triangles.

BlackOak is correct, the line is a remnant of the image rendering. According to Larissa, our horse's coats are created as a flat image and then "wrapped" around the frame of the horse. This is done using triangles, and results in the occasional visible demarcation between areas. Sometimes the renderer has issues and results in an unfinished image like the one BlackOak posted. What you're seeing on the mare is much more common and is simply a limitation of the image generation.
ArcticDahlia
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by ArcticDahlia »

Silverine wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:

BlackOak is correct, the line is a remnant of the image rendering. According to Larissa, our horse's coats are created as a flat image and then "wrapped" around the frame of the horse. This is done using triangles, and results in the occasional visible demarcation between areas. Sometimes the renderer has issues and results in an unfinished image like the one BlackOak posted. What you're seeing on the mare is much more common and is simply a limitation of the image generation.
Ohh okay, thank y’all so much!! Is there any reason it’s genetic as well? Like the “missing texture patches” are passed on to some of her offspring (Leviathan and Aspen so far specifically)? EDIT: I meant Aspen and Hermaeus, not Leviathan. Sorry
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

ArcticDahlia wrote:
Silverine wrote:
Ohh okay, thank y’all so much!! Is there any reason it’s genetic as well? Like the “missing texture patches” are passed on to some of her offspring (Leviathan and Aspen so far specifically)? EDIT: I meant Aspen and Hermaeus, not Leviathan. Sorry
I'm certain it's not genetic. However, certain colors... [certain genes]... may be more prone to showing the underlying graphics' artifacts than others. So it could show up in certain 'bloodlines' more often than others, not because it's genetically passed on, but because certain colors are more affected by it than others.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
ArcticDahlia
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by ArcticDahlia »

BlackOak2 wrote:
ArcticDahlia wrote:
I'm certain it's not genetic. However, certain colors... [certain genes]... may be more prone to showing the underlying graphics' artifacts than others. So it could show up in certain 'bloodlines' more often than others, not because it's genetically passed on, but because certain colors are more affected by it than others.
Oh wow, that's interesting, thank you! Now I'm wondering why some of her kids with tobiano in the same places have them and some don't, or why one of her red dun boys has it and one doesn't xD This game is an ever evolving mystery to me. But now that I know that that's a glitch and not genetic, I did want to ask one more question I'm not sure is related... are birthmarks a thing in HWO? Hermaeus and Leviathan seem to have matching dark spots on their neck, but the tobiano around that part is almost identical and covers up the spots at the same place. Leviathan's mane is too long to see it now but you can still see it in his baby pictures, but you can still see Hermaeus'. Is this a graphics error maybe related to the dots or are birthmarks a thing on here?

Hermaeus

Leviathan

"Birthmarks" vs. Dots
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

ArcticDahlia wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:
Oh wow, that's interesting, thank you! Now I'm wondering why some of her kids with tobiano in the same places have them and some don't, or why one of her red dun boys has it and one doesn't xD This game is an ever evolving mystery to me. But now that I know that that's a glitch and not genetic, I did want to ask one more question I'm not sure is related... are birthmarks a thing in HWO? Hermaeus and Leviathan seem to have matching dark spots on their neck, but the tobiano around that part is almost identical and covers up the spots at the same place. Leviathan's mane is too long to see it now but you can still see it in his baby pictures, but you can still see Hermaeus'. Is this a graphics error maybe related to the dots or are birthmarks a thing on here?

Hermaeus

Leviathan

"Birthmarks" vs. Dots
Check out the dun study I did. :mrgreen:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=11515
It should answer your question directly.
But no, there aren't birthmarks on the game... at least none that I've heard of.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
ArcticDahlia
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by ArcticDahlia »

BlackOak2 wrote:
ArcticDahlia wrote:

Hermaeus

Leviathan

"Birthmarks" vs. Dots
Check out the dun study I did. :mrgreen:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=11515
It should answer your question directly.
But no, there aren't birthmarks on the game... at least none that I've heard of.
Ohhh okay! So that would be considered a color shift on the neck mostly covered by tobiano markings... that's such a great thread! I've been reading through your quick links since you helped me get started and I had gotten to the silver but not the dun thread. Thank you so much for all the help, you've made learning seem not impossible haha.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Mon May 20, 2024 12:32 pm

It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 12:32 pm