Community Forum

Next bunch of somewhat confusing foals

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Tjigra
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Next bunch of somewhat confusing foals

Post by Tjigra »

So I've gathered another bunch of my youngsters I am not sure about. I've gotten myself into not only cryptic duns, but also strange flaxens :D

What's this? A dunskin with a heavy, early sooty?
Dipper C

I know she's not a year old yet, but is that a perlino?
Alpandeire C

Flaxen chestnut or bright plume? I am leaning towards flaxen now, but I was very confused when she was little.
Sahara Snow C

Please tell me I've finally gotten rid of the dun in this one :)
Ronnie C

And this? Dun or not dun?
Lepes C

And this? Her neck seems a bit lighter than I'd expect from a buckskin.
Gallant Charm C
Nazarach
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: Next bunch of somewhat confusing foals

Post by Nazarach »

Tjigra wrote:.
Alpandeire C

Now she is bright o.o but yes, maybe with the dun from her parents involved it could very well be brightened to this extent...

Sahara Snow C

Not sure, but it looks like a very gentle flaxen - did some in her line show plume to an obvious extend? if not I'd go with fl

Ronnie C

The color is somewhat off...faintly - so I would lean to dun unfortunatly :/

Lepes C

That is one I might think clean ^^

Gallant Charm C

I would say that there is a faint difference, so dun?
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Tjigra wrote:.

I pretty much agree with Nazarach's conclusions.

Alpandeire C - yes perlino and by the way her ankles look, also dun (so I agree). But I think you were already thinking that.

Dipper C - the first horse you posted. Yes, dunskin with likely heavier or rather, static sooty. Sooty that comes in fairly quick and once established at whatever shade it wants, unchanging. I have found that some of these buckskins with dun tend to turn kind of gray-like, almost like some weird shade of grulla, a black dun, rather than keeping the rich coloration of the gold from the buckskin.

Sahara Snow - I'm not to sure about plume on chestnut alongside flaxen. But it seems to act more a bit like dun and pangare, it starts at the ankles rather than the hooves like flaxen does. But differentiating the two is quite a bit harder. So, like Nazarach, my vote is flaxen, unless there is distinct plume. That and there doesn't appear to be much or any brightening of the mane or tail at the base when she was a newborn. Plume generally bleaches the color at the base in some form and I don't see that on her. Rather, her entire mane and tail is one color, just lighter than the body.

Ronnie C is a difficult one. I'm not particularly happy with the way dun and buckskin combine in times like these. The dun parent was pretty blatant though. I'm at a toss up on that one.

Lepes C, again with this one as with Ronnie. I see no real signs of dun. So I'm leaning toward not dun.

And Gallant Charm. I don't know. I think I see a strip down the backbone. But maybe I'm just seeing stripes.

You and your cryptics. :lol: At least you're uniform, stumping all of us. :P
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Tjigra
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Tjigra »

Nazarach wrote:.
BlackOak2 wrote:

I pretty much agree with Nazarach's conclusions.

Alpandeire C - yes perlino and by the way her ankles look, also dun (so I agree). But I think you were already thinking that.

Dipper C - the first horse you posted. Yes, dunskin with likely heavier or rather, static sooty. Sooty that comes in fairly quick and once established at whatever shade it wants, unchanging. I have found that some of these buckskins with dun tend to turn kind of gray-like, almost like some weird shade of grulla, a black dun, rather than keeping the rich coloration of the gold from the buckskin.

Sahara Snow - I'm not to sure about plume on chestnut alongside flaxen. But it seems to act more a bit like dun and pangare, it starts at the ankles rather than the hooves like flaxen does. But differentiating the two is quite a bit harder. So, like Nazarach, my vote is flaxen, unless there is distinct plume. That and there doesn't appear to be much or any brightening of the mane or tail at the base when she was a newborn. Plume generally bleaches the color at the base in some form and I don't see that on her. Rather, her entire mane and tail is one color, just lighter than the body.

Ronnie C is a difficult one. I'm not particularly happy with the way dun and buckskin combine in times like these. The dun parent was pretty blatant though. I'm at a toss up on that one.

Lepes C, again with this one as with Ronnie. I see no real signs of dun. So I'm leaning toward not dun.

And Gallant Charm. I don't know. I think I see a strip down the backbone. But maybe I'm just seeing stripes.

You and your cryptics. :lol: At least you're uniform, stumping all of us. :P
Alpandeire - thanks, I've totally forgot the dun on this one. I am bad at double dilutes anyway :))

Dipper - early and static sooty is new for me. My sooties tend to come in late and keep on changing. I can count on fingers of one hand the foals whose sooty had been obvious at birth, and never this heavy early on.

Sahara Snow - she CAN very well be flaxen - her dam is a very bright one, and her sire's sire is a flaxen too. However, her sire himself looks a bit plume - his tail is not black-black, but lighter. As he isn't mine, I'm not sure if there are more obvious ones in the line - though his dam is not really black-black, either. No plumes in the damline, so I'd go with flaxen. Her mane is a bit striped though.

Ronnie - both his parents are dun, one is obvious, the other cryptic :D He has much higher chance of being dun than not, so the odds are not in my favour, or so it seems :D

Lepes, on the other hand, only has one known dun parent, and it's an obvious one. However I wouldn't be able to tell a cryptic on a perlino (his sire). So I am going with no dun here, I think.

Gallant Charm - I think I'll wait til the sooty sets off more visibly. In my experience, sooty tends to bring out cryptic dun, as the dun and not-dun colour areas darken differently. Her sire is an obvious dun, and there are no known cryptics in the dam line. He has produced a cryptic before though, from a non-dun mare.

I'd be really glad to get rid of the confusing cryptics, but looks like they like it there at my ranch :D
Devolare
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Devolare »

My input:

Dipper - Agreed with all of the above in regards to him being a sooty dunskin. I'm very intrigued by the fact that he is sooty so early on, but it does happen.

Alpandeire- I'm not thrilled by the idea that it's a dun lightening the foal until I see it as an adult since it's not even a year and could easily just get darker. That being said, if it were going to have anything it would be dun (any sign of champagne, pearl or silver are all out).

Sahara Snow- The mane and tail still seem a little dark for the flaxen I'm used to, but that could just be me.

The other buckskins, I don't really see dun on any of them. I'm just seeing sooty on 2/3 (Ronnie and Gallant Charm). But I could also just be blind in regards to the dun. lol
Tjigra
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Tjigra »

Devolare wrote:My input:

Dipper - Agreed with all of the above in regards to him being a sooty dunskin. I'm very intrigued by the fact that he is sooty so early on, but it does happen.

Alpandeire- I'm not thrilled by the idea that it's a dun lightening the foal until I see it as an adult since it's not even a year and could easily just get darker. That being said, if it were going to have anything it would be dun (any sign of champagne, pearl or silver are all out).

Sahara Snow- The mane and tail still seem a little dark for the flaxen I'm used to, but that could just be me.

The other buckskins, I don't really see dun on any of them. I'm just seeing sooty on 2/3 (Ronnie and Gallant Charm). But I could also just be blind in regards to the dun. lol
Thanks for the input :)
Dipper's early sooty surprised me too, but apparently I'm in for it now - I have another foal born apparently sooty from birth, and they're not even related.
Meddler C

Alpandeire is a year old now, and I don't see any signs of dun on her, but she still seems brighter than my previous perlino. Since her parents are pretty straightforward buckskin and dunskin, I can't think of anything else but dun she could possibly hide.

Sahara Snow - she's by far not the darkest flaxen I have. He is flaxen too (unless someone tells me how he could possibly be not):
Hopeful C

The other buckskins - I've been plagued since the very beginning with buckskins and palominos that turn out to be dun :D That's why I keep asking even if I don't see any dun on them :D
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri May 17, 2024 10:35 pm

It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 10:35 pm