Community Forum

Can someone help?

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Veterinarian
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Can someone help?

Post by Veterinarian »

I seriously have no idea where that mealy gene came from XD

Could anyone show me the mare or stallion that caused this (from his pedigree)?

BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: Can someone help?

Post by BlackOak2 »

Veterinarian wrote:I seriously have no idea where that mealy gene came from XD

He looks like a silver dapple, silver on black and not dapple from sooty. So the pangare you see is a pseudo-pangare that sometimes appears when black pairs with silver. Though I have a sneaking suspicion that it is pangare offering itself in true form, pangare cannot appear when paired with black and I have No proof. So, we're looking at a silver on black (showing dapples) with champagne and of course tobiano stockings. You can see the dapples better on the yearling photo, or at least I can.
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Veterinarian
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Veterinarian »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Veterinarian wrote:I seriously have no idea where that mealy gene came from XD

He looks like a silver dapple, silver on black and not dapple from sooty. So the pangare you see is a pseudo-pangare that sometimes appears when black pairs with silver. Though I have a sneaking suspicion that it is pangare offering itself in true form, pangare cannot appear when paired with black and I have No proof. So, we're looking at a silver on black (showing dapples) with champagne and of course tobiano stockings. You can see the dapples better on the yearling photo, or at least I can.
I do believe that the horse also carries the Pearl gene so maybe it is because of the pearl gene that this is happening?
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Veterinarian wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:
I do believe that the horse also carries the Pearl gene so maybe it is because of the pearl gene that this is happening?
A reminder...
The pearl gene is recessive, it needs two or to be paired with a cream to express.

Your horse doesn't look like a triple dilute. And I haven't seen or heard of the pearl gene causing a pangare-styled effect. I'm certain that I've had none-pearl carriers showing this pseudo-pangare on black when paired with silver. Though he may be a pearl carrier, it's not (or hasn't been proven) to show itself in any way when not doubled or cream-paired.

If you can prove a relationship between them, great! But I have also had this pseudo-pangare follow some bloodlines, so you might need to tackle this test with fresh blood. On a personal note, I do NOT believe there is any relationship.
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Veterinarian
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Veterinarian »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Veterinarian wrote: I do believe that the horse also carries the Pearl gene so maybe it is because of the pearl gene that this is happening?
A reminder...
The pearl gene is recessive, it needs two or to be paired with a cream to express.

Your horse doesn't look like a triple dilute. And I haven't seen or heard of the pearl gene causing a pangare-styled effect. I'm certain that I've had none-pearl carriers showing this pseudo-pangare on black when paired with silver. Though he may be a pearl carrier, it's not (or hasn't been proven) to show itself in any way when not doubled or cream-paired.

If you can prove a relationship between them, great! But I have also had this pseudo-pangare follow some bloodlines, so you might need to tackle this test with fresh blood. On a personal note, I do NOT believe there is any relationship.
Lol, good to know!
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Mon May 20, 2024 7:36 pm

It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 7:36 pm