Community Forum

Smoky black/brown pearl champagne

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Malakai10
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Smoky black/brown pearl champagne

Post by Malakai10 »

Am I right in saying that this mare is a tiger eye grey on smoky black pearl champagne? Or could she possibly be... a tiger eye black pearl champagne. (which would make her father a pearl carrier :D :D ... buuut I find it unlikely :cry: )
901 RSÆ Dune's Dixie Champagne

Her as a foal:

And that her father is a tiger eye grey on brown cream champagne?

895 RSÆ Dune's Bouncer Sunshine

Sire as a foal:

The dam, 885 RSÆ Dune's Dunnit Dixie, is the granddaughter of a confirmed heterozygous pearl horse.

ALSO:

Is this colt heterozygous cream/pearl, homozygous pearl or homozygous cream?

902 RSÆ Twilight's Baroque

And this horse:

902 RSÆ Wallflower's Saturn

Silverine
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: Smoky black/brown pearl champagne

Post by Silverine »

Malakai10 wrote:
She's a confusing one, that's for sure.

First off, she's brown, not black. Check out the yellow areas around her muzzle, flank, and behind her shoulder as a foal. She also has silver and dun - and a hidden pearl. She has no cream to speak of.

I had to do a bit of digging to find the source of the pearl. It's from this horse: her sire's sire's sire. He looks like a plain bay, but produced her grandsire, who is diluted. He's much harder to tell - he looks like a plain sable cream at first glance but the mare's sire is definitely silver on a pearl-cream, so he must have pearl somewhere. It's possible he's a double pearl rather than a single cream, but there's no way to tell since he's dead and his other offspring is no help. (Could be a palomino pearl or a cremello - they're both super similar and it's hard to tell from the picture.)

For reference, here's a sable cream that I'm currently aging up. His adult coat and the stallion's baby coat match pretty closely, but there are differences - a lightness in the face and lower legs on your boy, among other things.

So overall I'd say your girl is Silver Sable Dun.

Also, as a side note on labeling - you have her dam labeled as silver classic dun, but she's actually just a silver bay or zebra dun. Classic dun is black + champagne + dun.

EDIT: I just realized there's two other horses in your post. They're both silver smoky brown pearl. Here's a non-grey one for reference. And a double-pearl on silver brown. (The second has sooty that makes him look black in his older photos. Check younger photos for a better example.)
Malakai10
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: Smoky black/brown pearl champagne

Post by Malakai10 »

Silverine wrote:.
Thanks, I must admit that I don't think she has dun at all - her coat just seems too consistently dark and her legs too light.

Classic dun refers to (wild) bay dun.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Mon May 20, 2024 10:15 pm

It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 10:15 pm