Community Forum

Coat Confusion

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Shadow Scar
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Coat Confusion

Post by Shadow Scar »

She wasn't home bred so figuring out what coat color she has is kind of tough. Unfortunately there's not a lot of pictures before she started varnishing.
Lurking Owl 14%

The next three are cream dilutes that have honestly thrown me for a loop.
Meek Traveler 65%

p

p

Any help is appreciated!
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: Coat Confusion

Post by BlackOak2 »

Shadow Scar wrote:She wasn't home bred so figuring out what coat color she has is kind of tough. Unfortunately there's not a lot of pictures before she started varnishing.

The next three are cream dilutes that have honestly thrown me for a loop.

Any help is appreciated!
Lurking Owl appears to be a silver brown dun. Luckily, there was a newborn picture, so that does help. Of course with snowflakes and tobiano.

Meek Traveler appears to be a brown cream dun. Again with To and Lp.

ID #2477397 ... Now this horse is confusing me a bit. He looks more like a palomino pearl, but after going back a couple generations (I didn't go far though), I don't see any real sign of pearl in his pedigree. There is cream. I first come to the conclusion that he's just not light enough to be a cremello. But I do see obvious signs of dun. So I thought what we had to be looking at is a strongly expressed dun on a palomino. But the pink skin defines a double dilute. So I have to conclude that he's a cremello with dun. But he could also be hiding a pearl on his sire's side. I don't believe his dam is a pearl hider. She does look like a cream foal.

ID #2477421 is much easier. Silver dapple on double cream. That would be a black base. I don't immediately see signs of dun, but they can easily hide on these light foals. There is a bit of a flush there at his neck, just in front of her withers, but not enough for me to say yea to dun.
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Shadow Scar
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Shadow Scar »

Thanks so much! Do you think 2477397 could possibly has flaxen? Didn't really think of it until now but chestnut based horses aren't really common in my herd so it could have maybe been hiding through the generations.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Shadow Scar wrote:Thanks so much! Do you think 2477397 could possibly has flaxen? Didn't really think of it until now but chestnut based horses aren't really common in my herd so it could have maybe been hiding through the generations.
It's possible. Unless he came down directly from double flaxen lines, it's a bit too difficult to tell on these dilute horses. I usually use the flaxen legs to define flaxen or not. If I don't see it, it's unknown flaxen and I skip it in the gene and color, if I see it, then definitely flaxen.
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Tue May 21, 2024 5:53 am

It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 5:53 am