Community Forum

Icelandic Pony

Until registries are in place the Breeding Communities forum will be for players to work together towards creating or improving their favourite breeds.
Forum rules
Each breed may have only one topic. The first post in the topic is to be informative. It should help explain the breed, and breeding goals; advice on how to select mares and stallions; and links to ideal Stallions available for breeding.
Keeping a directory of breeders working on the same goal is also helpful.
All new threads must be approved.
Zuka
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Icelandic Pony

Post by Zuka »

I decided to create a page for Icelandic horses because the previous one was from about five years ago and outdated. I'm surprised this breed isn't already popular because they're cute and fluffy... what's not to love!
Breed Info:
The Icelandic horse is one of the oldest and purest breeds in the world! They are believed to have originated from ponies taken to Iceland by Norse settlers in the 9th or 10th century. Selective breeding has brought the breed to it's current characteristics, along with some natural selection due to harsh winters and lack of food. In the 1780's most of the breed was wiped out due to a giant volcanic eruption at Laki. Luckily, they were able to be saved from extinction. The first breeding association for the Icelandic horse was created in 1904 and every since then the breed has been represented by more and more countries!

Breed Characteristics:
Icelandic horses are typically 13-14 hands. While the breed is technically a pony in size, it is considered to be a horse by most associations.
Icelandic horses are also a gaited breed, with two distinct gaits. The tölt is a walk like pace that can be as a fast as a canter, and the flying pace is where the legs on either side move together at the speed of a gallop. You can find videos of this on Youtube for better explanation.
Icelandic horses are typically short and stocky with strong shoulders, heavy manes/tails, a long back, and a muscular rump.
They can be found in essentially any color or pattern and tend to have a very docile and friendly demeanor.

Breeding Goals (for me):
- Try to keep all horses purebred
- Keep the fluffy mane trait
- Raise the HGP
- Keep horses medium-medium heavy and pony-type

Stallions:
Here are a few stallions I've bred/found that could make good studs:

He is the right body type and has a fluffy mane, but he is a little too small and has a lower HGP. His COI is also pretty high.

He is only a 95% Icelandic but he has a decent HGP and is the right body type. Unfortunately he doesn't have the correct mane.

Extra Info:
Tarpan X Norwegian Fjord = Icelandic Pony
Icelandic Pony X Peruvian Paso = Aegidienberger
Forest Horse X Icelandic Pony = Finish Draft

This isn't a sign up club, more of an open discussion.
So far I have been able to breed a 54k HGP Icelandic Pony. Unfortunately he is too light and does not have the correct mane so I will be trying to incorporate that into his foals. I think it's important that we try to keep the key traits of the Icelandic Pony instead of making them all look like a light breed.

If anyone else breeds Icelandic's or is interested in them feel free to comment below!
Please DO NOT quote this post, I want to keep this thread from getting messy :)
CalicoJenn
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: Icelandic Pony

Post by CalicoJenn »

Hi, I breed them, I fall off from the game from time to time but i come back and work on them frequently. I live in Iceland and I am amused they call them Icelandic Ponies on this game because that is a huge nono. They are horses and is a good way to irritate an Icelander.

My stock has a pretty high COI. I was focused mostly on trying to get them closer to the type i saw here. I moved to trying to improve stats and lost type in some of them unfortunately. I am going to be taking some time to sort and clear out my farm on a few of my breeds now that i have a high number of horses, i'm going to really focus on getting better quality with some lower COI.
utopie
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: Icelandic Pony

Post by utopie »

Hi, i'm trying to get gen+1 icelandic from my fjord and tarpans....I hope to get there soon even if I don't play much.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Wed May 22, 2024 11:24 am

It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 11:24 am