Community Forum

Calgara Horses: a Breed of my Own

Create a topic to track the progress of your breeding program, help support other breeders with their breeding goals.
Enchanted Equine
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Calgara Horses: a Breed of my Own

Post by Enchanted Equine »

Hey guys, this is my new and improved farm log! My goal is to post a new log every two weeks, although it may be more or less frequent depending on how often I am playing. I want to give you guys a chance to follow along with my self-made breed’s progress, and keep an eye on what I’m producing! This is my first log since changing my account’s name, and I can’t wait to share everything with you! Stay tuned for updates and logs!
Enchanted Equine
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: Calgara Horses: a Breed of my Own

Post by Enchanted Equine »

Sunday, February 6, 2022: Log #1

Since this is my first log, I would like to give an introduction to the Calgara breed! It is a cross between a purebred North African Barb (NAB), and a purebred Forest Horse. I prefer to use horses from the Adoption Center (AC), as it helps prevent inbreeding and keeps the lines under my control, as they don’t come with a progeny or parents. I want everything about this breed to be mine, so having horses with no previous owners also provides me with that. It’s also easier for me to select horses with builds and color that better match my liking.

You may be wondering, what makes Calgara Horses different from other horses who are a NAB and Forest Horse cross? At the moment, nothing! However, I would like to breed them to have more diverse colors, smoother conformations, and better movement in the future. They will have more extensive bloodlines and organized production as well.

You may also be wondering, what the heck made me decide that crossing these two breeds was a good idea? Well, it goes back to one of my many phases of trying to breed better versions of AC breeds. I have always had a deep love for the elegant Forest Horses, and spent a long time trying to perfect them into a more ideal appearance. While I loved them the way they were, they were a bit too bulky, and I also wanted more color and pattern diversity. I could never quite manage to achieve the more refined appearance I was looking for, though, so eventually I decided to scrap the project altogether. Not much later, I picked up a new project, Turkmenes . After my most recent Turkmene project failed, I decided to try my hand at producing NABs. I loved their unique colors and patterns, and their striking coats were what caught my eye. However, I didn’t care for their build, as I felt like it was a bit too light to go with the thicker neck and midriff that the breed tended to throw. I decided to make a post on the forums asking for ideas for my next project, and I had several people tell me that if I was looking for something ambitious, I should try breeding for movement. Taking this into consideration, I decided to make another post asking for good breeds to attempt this with. The answers I received were mostly stating that NABs and Forest Horses were arguably the best two breeds for movement. I didn’t end up doing anything with this for a few weeks, as I was pretty bummed out about my Turkmenes. When I came back to the game, I decided to try experimenting with combining lighter breeds and heavier breeds. I wanted to see what sort of things said crosses would produce, thinking that maybe I’d make my favorite a new project. When I combined NABs and Forest Horses, I fell head over heels in love. Their build, their color, everything. I decided to pursue the cross further, curious what results I could get. I decided that it was an ideal cross for what I was looking for, especially since combining the two breeds with the best movement would allow me to pursue other goals as well. And now I’m here, and the rest is history.

So, what are my current plans for this breed? I am going to be purchasing 6 forest Horses and 6 NABs to start a more organized production of the breed. Right now all my Calgara horses are prototypes and their lines are honestly a chaotic mess. I also don’t want any future horses of this breed to have been produced from outside studs, which some of my current ones have been. However, I love the ones I have too much to sell, so I will simply age them out.

My favorite horses of this breed so far are:

https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3416229
https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3416228
https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3416226

For any inquiries please feel free to ping me! I would consider producing some foals for sale if there is any interest. I could really use some funding for this project!
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri May 17, 2024 12:21 pm

It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 12:21 pm