Community Forum

Question For Advanced Breeders

Katy_Kanes
Visit My Farm

Question For Advanced Breeders

Post by Katy_Kanes »

Hey!
I have a question for any "advanced" breeders! I am currently breeding for the ideal hunter horse- High movement, strength, tempo, and balance. I have gotten very well with movement- averaging in high 50s-mid 60s. Now I am trying to add in strength but am struggling! I found a relatively good stud, but both movement and strength scores are being drug down! Does anyone have any tips (or studs lol) to help me out? thanks!
ፕጌ✨
♕ℛℛ♕
Quality Horses Est. May 25th, 2019
Cypress Creek Elites
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Question For Advanced Breeders

Post by Cypress Creek Elites »

So, I have a few things to point out here. (I also have some breeding stock that may help you on my main account)
The first thing is to get your movement solidly in the mid 60s, with consistent gold comment studs. I have gotten greens in the upper 50s before, but they're pretty rare; to break into greens initially you'll probably have to push well into the 60s.
Movement comments are I think the single most difficult comment to raise (strength being second only because there ARE mares with gold strength, and there are no mares with the same, afaik)
At the point where your horses are consistently throwing green (mare) and gold (stud) movement, you can start to work on the other comments and stats. Do NOT expect much from strength comments.

Honestly the best way to evaluate whether or not your line is improving is to test foals. As newborns, throwing foals that you think are promising (have good conformation, GP AND br) into a couple of level 5 locals is a decent benchmark; if you have more than one account, you can technically swap them back and forth indefinitely, but I usually do only 2-3 with each foal. I have a google sheet you can easily set up and use to keep track of what scores are considered "good" and "bad" in your herd, if you want. STRONGLY cull foals that under perform in locals.*

The second benchmark would be training and competing horses periodically. If you train and compete your stallion prospects each generation (or even just train and locals), you'll get a good sense for where they'll likely score- and if you're also tracking foal scores on those studs, you'll start to develop an idea of what scores as foals transfer into better scores as adults. I would consider 53-54 as fairly decent, but you'll know you're getting somewhere when you hit 55.

Keep an eye on WPS and the proportion of wins to seconds/thirds. Check who your horse is competing against if they tend to either do really well or really badly- if the horse is similar to them on paper, your horse may just be a great (or poor) competitor, though if the horse is significantly better or worse, that won't say much.

*Apparently there have been a handful of lines that really underperformed in locals but did great in regular comps, so this is something to keep in mind when you do start testing. But generally speaking, foals that do better in locals have a better chance to do well in player comps.
Cypress Creek Elites
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Here are a few studs that I bred that are currently on the market:
https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3201513 66 movement, "natural mover" comment, fairly decent amount of energy (he has a face marking, you just can't see it)
https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3241613 fairly cheap, only 20 energy left, not tested at all lol
I have more on my main, and a few more that are out of energy on the market.
Cypress Creek Elites
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Katy_Kanes wrote:not sure if you've seen this xD
Let me know if you want me to grab you some mares or studs from my main account
Katy_Kanes
Visit My Farm

Post by Katy_Kanes »

Cypress Creek Elites wrote:
Katy_Kanes wrote:not sure if you've seen this xD
Let me know if you want me to grab you some mares or studs from my main account
I just saw this :mrgreen: thank you! I've been consistently in the high 50s-low 60s, but I will work more on culling my horses! Could I get a set up of that spread sheet you were talking about? Thanks! Also if you decide to do a "black friday" sale on your 67 movement stud let me know ;) I'm a bit low on money right now lol
ፕጌ✨
♕ℛℛ♕
Katy_Kanes
Visit My Farm

Post by Katy_Kanes »

Cypress Creek Elites wrote:Here are a few studs that I bred that are currently on the market:
https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3201513 66 movement, "natural mover" comment, fairly decent amount of energy (he has a face marking, you just can't see it)
https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3241613 fairly cheap, only 20 energy left, not tested at all lol
I have more on my main, and a few more that are out of energy on the market.
Also if you need the conformation on the second let me know.
ፕጌ✨
♕ℛℛ♕
Cypress Creek Elites
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Katy_Kanes wrote: I just saw this :mrgreen: thank you! I've been consistently in the high 50s-low 60s, but I will work more on culling my horses! Could I get a set up of that spread sheet you were talking about? Thanks! Also if you decide to do a "black friday" sale on your 67 movement stud let me know ;) I'm a bit low on money right now lol
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=40658 <<has the sheet (you'll need to make a copy and wipe my data) and a quick description of how it works. If you need help connecting it to a form lmk
I may have to age up some of my studs, seeing as they're nearly all out of energy xD

No conformation needed. I haven't touched that project since I lost premium on the account :')
Katy_Kanes
Visit My Farm

Post by Katy_Kanes »

Katy_Kanes wrote: I just saw this :mrgreen: thank you! I've been consistently in the high 50s-low 60s, but I will work more on culling my horses! Could I get a set up of that spread sheet you were talking about? Thanks! Also if you decide to do a "black friday" sale on your 67 movement stud let me know ;) I'm a bit low on money right now lol
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=40658 <<has the sheet (you'll need to make a copy and wipe my data) and a quick description of how it works. If you need help connecting it to a form lmk
I may have to age up some of my studs, seeing as they're nearly all out of energy xD

No conformation needed. I haven't touched that project since I lost premium on the account :')
Well if you ever decide to pick it back up & need a breeding partner let me know :D
ፕጌ✨
♕ℛℛ♕
Cypress Creek Elites
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Katy_Kanes wrote: Well if you ever decide to pick it back up & need a breeding partner let me know :D
Will do!
Btw if you ever want someone to just kinda evaluate how your stock looks on paper (BR/GP vs Confo, not taking scores or anything into account) I have a decent grasp on that and can most definitely help you.
Katy_Kanes
Visit My Farm

Post by Katy_Kanes »

Katy_Kanes wrote: Well if you ever decide to pick it back up & need a breeding partner let me know :D
Will do!
Btw if you ever want someone to just kinda evaluate how your stock looks on paper (BR/GP vs Confo, not taking scores or anything into account) I have a decent grasp on that and can most definitely help you.
That would actually be amazing! I feel like my movement scores are high, but the breeders reports & HGP kinda just suck lol.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 1252244987 this is also my record of local times & movement. I've been rehoming everything below 36 or 60, but I think I'm going to raise my standards lol.
ፕጌ✨
♕ℛℛ♕
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sun May 05, 2024 9:56 am

It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 9:56 am