Community Forum

Arabian Improvement Project

Create a topic to track the progress of your breeding program, help support other breeders with their breeding goals.
haltanny
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by haltanny »

I'll come back and prettify this post later, but I just wanted to get my project out there for now.

Primary Goal: To introduce realistic colors to high GHP Arabians
Secondary Goal: To breed for 5* Eval and classic Arabian traits (i.e. dished faces)

History / Progress
F1 - Crossed my line of High GHP Arabians (68-72k range) to two (2) Adoption Center stallions
F2 - Bred the best typed colts to the opposite stallion's daughters, hoping for correct colors
F3, F4, etc - Bred the resulting offspring together, selecting solely on color
BC1 - BackCrossed some of these correct colored horses back to my high GHP line

Current / Progress
Currently I have two sub families in this project.
The First Family is the main population and is descended from the original cross of High GHP to AC horses. This group consists solely of visually correct colored horses. Meaning there is no dun, cream, silver, tiger eye or other genes being expressed. There are still carriers of Tiger Eye and at least one chestnut that is hiding Silver, but my goal is to weed out those genes while improving overall appearance (type) and Evaluations.

The Second Family is a smaller population, comprised of descendants of the BackCross named previously. The "founders" of this family are all D/d Duns from the first BackCross to High GHP line. Many also have Tiger Eye, but the gain in GHP was worth the step back on color. Future breedings in this family will focus on breeding out the undesired colors while increasing GHP. Type and Evals will be much less selected for here. The goal is to quickly breed up to 66k+ then breed back to the First Family.

Studs, Sales, Etc
If you are interested in breeding to stallions not listed for stud or potentially purchasing horses, feel free to contact me. I will have a few studs listed from time to time in the barn linked below.
https://www.horseworldonline.net/farm/barn/197337
Last edited by haltanny on Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
haltanny
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Arabian Improvement Project

Post by haltanny »

A few examples of the Project, Horses I am impressed with

First horse to reach 60k in the First Family, something like 6 or 7 generations in. She is 5* Eval, has a nice dished face. I would like a longer neck and shorter back, but overall she's quite nice.

Current Highest *Correct Color* GHP in Second Family, one generation off the backcross. She's going to be too tall, but I expect that at this point in the family. Her dam's dam is a 69k GHP mare with 5 Golds and a Green. I'm looking forward to her foals.

Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Thu May 02, 2024 12:59 pm

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 12:59 pm