Community Forum

Mealy chestnut?

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Aubergine
Visit My Farm

Mealy chestnut?

Post by Aubergine »

So this young man is confusing me.
Currently, I'm thinking chestnut pangare, since his dam has strong pangare expression. However, his dam also doesn't seem like she should be throwing chestnut foals; yes her sire was allegedly a flaxen apricot but I was guessing with that.

It's the monochrome pink that's throwing me off, flaxen??

Valli Girl
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Re: Mealy chestnut?

Post by Silverine »

Aubergine wrote:So this young man is confusing me.
Currently, I'm thinking chestnut pangare, since his dam has strong pangare expression. However, his dam also doesn't seem like she should be throwing chestnut foals; yes her sire was allegedly a flaxen apricot but I was guessing with that.

Valli Girl
Yes, I would agree that this horse is a very mealy flaxen chestnut.

It's important to note that every stallion his dam has been paired with is black-based. The mare herself was indeed sired by an apricot (chestnut + 2x pearl) stud, so she has to carry a red gene. But unless the studs also carry (and throw) the red gene, the foals will still be black-based. Breeding two black-based red carriers together only has a 25% chance of throwing a red-based foal. So 1 out of 6 really isn't that unusual. :)
Aubergine
Visit My Farm

Re: Mealy chestnut?

Post by Aubergine »

Silverine wrote:
Aubergine wrote:So this young man is confusing me.

Valli Girl
Yes, I would agree that this horse is a very mealy flaxen chestnut.

It's important to note that every stallion his dam has been paired with is black-based. The mare herself was indeed sired by an apricot (chestnut + 2x pearl) stud, so she has to carry a red gene. But unless the studs also carry (and throw) the red gene, the foals will still be black-based. Breeding two black-based red carriers together only has a 25% chance of throwing a red-based foal. So 1 out of 6 really isn't that unusual. :)
Thank you! I couldn't remember whether I'd paired her with other red-based studs since I rehome so many foals.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Thu May 02, 2024 5:43 pm

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 5:43 pm