Community Forum

Cremello didn't pass either cream gene?

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Jaylin221
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Cremello didn't pass either cream gene?

Post by Jaylin221 »

So I bred what I thought was a double cream to a black horse... and got a chestnut foal??? Could it be Cream Pearl instead? I can't remember if pearl shows when there is only one gene present? Both parents are from the AC so there's not any history to go off of.
What?!?
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Cremello didn't pass either cream gene?

Post by BlackOak2 »

Jaylin221 wrote:So I bred what I thought was a double cream to a black horse... and got a chestnut foal??? Could it be Cream Pearl instead? I can't remember if pearl shows when there is only one gene present? Both parents are from the AC so there's not any history to go off of.
Your horse is a graying chestnut. I also suspect there might be dun, though.

So, you have the thought correct. A double dilute will always pass one dilute gene onward and if the foal turns out without a dilution, then that means one of those genes must be pearl. Pearl needs one more to show. Pearl is recessive.

Also. There is no rabicano in-game just yet. The stallion is a graying black.

I am not positive what your mare is. The most likely candidate is Palomino Pearl. Cream and pearl on chestnut. I also suspect this mare is where the foal pulled the dun I suspect. Which can change the coat a bit. But her color is odd.

Let me ping somebody that can debate it further. :mrgreen:
Silverine wrote:...
Some more help please.
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Jaylin221 wrote:So I bred what I thought was a double cream to a black horse... and got a chestnut foal??? Could it be Cream Pearl instead? I can't remember if pearl shows when there is only one gene present? Both parents are from the AC so there's not any history to go off of.

So, you have the thought correct. A double dilute will always pass one dilute gene onward and if the foal turns out without a dilution, then that means one of those genes must be pearl. Pearl needs one more to show. Pearl is recessive.

I am not positive what your mare is. The most likely candidate is Palomino Pearl. Cream and pearl on chestnut. I also suspect this mare is where the foal pulled the dun I suspect. Which can change the coat a bit. But her color is odd.

Silverine wrote:...
Some more help please.
Yes, the mare is a Palomino Pearl. So the foal is chestnut with a hidden pearl. I personally don't see dun, but BlackOak is more of an expert on that than I am. :lol:
Jaylin221
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Jaylin221 »

Silverine wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:

Some more help please.
Yes, the mare is a Palomino Pearl. So the foal is chestnut with a hidden pearl. I personally don't see dun, but BlackOak is more of an expert on that than I am. :lol:
I also thought the stallion was a graying black, but he keeps giving me seal bay foals. So I think the gray was just covering the brown spots by age 4 already? I'm not really seeing any dun on the foal either.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

Jaylin221 wrote:
I also thought the stallion was a graying black, but he keeps giving me seal bay foals. So I think the gray was just covering the brown spots by age 4 already? I'm not really seeing any dun on the foal either.
What color were the mares you bred him to? You're not guaranteed to get black from black unless both parents are black, and then in some cases you still have a 25% chance of chestnut. I don't see any indication of brown on the stud. The gray doesn't cover his flank in his gallery photo and there is no red there. I am 100% confident the stud is black.
Jaylin221
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Jaylin221 »

Silverine wrote:
What color were the mares you bred him to? You're not guaranteed to get black from black unless both parents are black, and then in some cases you still have a 25% chance of chestnut. I don't see any indication of brown on the stud. The gray doesn't cover his flank in his gallery photo and there is no red there. I am 100% confident the stud is black.
I bred him to several different ones(I rehomed most because they weren't the right breed) and originally thought it was the chestnut mares carrying bay but then I bred him to more black mares and still got bays. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

Jaylin221 wrote:
Silverine wrote:
I bred him to several different ones(I rehomed most because they weren't the right breed) and originally thought it was the chestnut mares carrying bay but then I bred him to more black mares and still got bays. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
That's literally not possible. If your stud was brown he still would not throw bay. Brown only throws brown and black.

What breed were the mares? If they were AC NABs or Shetlands they may have had glitch coats. Otherwise I'm sorry but there's literally no way that could happen. That's just not how it works.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Jaylin221 wrote:
Silverine wrote:
You have a wide variety of mares on your farm and they cover the rainbow.
There's a slim chance he's a glitch-coat horse... he is an AC and is still under 10 years.

I suspect that some of the black mares you bred to, aren't black. However, I didn't readily see any pseudo-black coats on your farm. I did only see two non-double dilute, black horses however.

It be interesting if you did, in fact, pop bays from him with other black mares. Impossible, as the genes are supposed to work, so if you had still proof of that, definitely a bug that admin would have to look into. Or a glitch. Which would still be interesting. :mrgreen:

If you happen to do so again, I'd certainly like to take a look.

I can also say, that if you had him bred to forest horse mares, they can be pseudo-black; they'd be brown or even bay and be carrying sooty so heavily, they do appear black, even from the AC.

So if you do get another, please share! 8-)
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Jaylin221
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Jaylin221 »

I had been working on breeding a Kathiawari, but now I'm intrigued. He is an Arab stud so I was breeding him to both NABs and Turks. The majority of the double dilutes are a separate Mustang project I was working on and they shouldn't have been bred to him. When I said bay earlier I meant seal bay, I know its the same as brown, I just generally group brown, bay and wild bay all under the term bay since the genes are somewhat connected, sorry if that was confusing.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Jaylin221 wrote:
I knew I was forgetting something: Arabians don't come in brown. (The alleles listed in the first post are incorrect, but the colors listed are not.) And glitch coats still only come in colors that are possible. So even if he was a glitch, he wouldn't be brown.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri May 03, 2024 12:58 am

It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 12:58 am