Community Forum

Questions for fellow Racing Stock Breeders

Need some help figuring out part of the game? Post your questions here and we'll be glad to help you out.
AppleofHiseye178
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Questions for fellow Racing Stock Breeders

Post by AppleofHiseye178 »

Hi, :D
I have some questions.
I am currently breeding racing stock foals.
All of my mares have the temperament of high-strung and I have been breeding them to stallions who are also high strung.
Some of the foals are born calm and then the temperament changes to bombproof...which is not what I want at all.
I'd like to know more information on how to maintain the right temperament (high-strung) for foals.

-Should I keep them in a pasture or a barn?
-What should I feed them?
How long should I keep them in pasture or barn?
-Is it adjustable if they are born bombproof?
-if they became bombproof can that be changed?
-at what age should I start training to avoid the temperament from going bombproof?
-Do I need to change feed when training?

Any Advice and info to help improve my stock is greatly appreciated!

P.s. Here is some of my potential racing stock colts if you want to take a peek.
https://www.horseworldonline.net/farm/pasture/194973
https://www.horseworldonline.net/farm/barn/197392

More still to be born. Some not included in links. :D
Heartland2001
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Questions for fellow Racing Stock Breeders

Post by Heartland2001 »

AppleofHiseye178 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:52 am Hi, :D
I have some questions.
I am currently breeding racing stock foals.
All of my mares have the temperament of high-strung and I have been breeding them to stallions who are also high strung.
Some of the foals are born calm and then the temperament changes to bombproof...which is not what I want at all.
I'd like to know more information on how to maintain the right temperament (high-strung) for foals.

-at what age should I start training to avoid the temperament from going bombproof?

P.s. Here is some of my potential racing stock colts if you want to take a peek.

I find that if there born in a barn and I stick them on 25% yellow corn then stick them in a pasture they all usually become high strung occasionally there will be one or 2 with a stuck temperament but I find sticking them on yellow corn the second there born works wonders.
Question 2,
Once they hit breeding age I throw them in a barn on 100% yellow corn
Question 3 and 4, yes unless it's a stuck temperament but you can usually adjust it
Question 5, as soon as there born is ideal for training in my opinion the latest 6 months
Question 6, ideally keep any racers on yellow corn
Hope this helps!
Horsechronicles12
Visit My Farm

Post by Horsechronicles12 »

-Should I keep them in a pasture or a barn? Pasture so they can run on their own
-What should I feed them? Hay and sweet feed
How long should I keep them in pasture or barn? all the time or however long you feel
-Is it adjustable if they are born bombproof? sometimes but not all
-if they became bombproof can that be changed? same answer above
-at what age should I start training to avoid the temperament from going bombproof? Since they are born. i start out when they are born but its harder with red stats so you want gold or green
no but you can

id find horses that are really young

[/quote]
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

Here is an in-depth guide I wrote about feeding for temperament.

I'm guessing your foals are in a pasture. The pasture is what brings them down to bombproof. They are eating too much fiber and not enough sugar. If you want their temperament to move toward the hotter end you need to put them in a barn and feed them something high in sugar and low in fiber (weight gain mix or performance mix are good choices).

Before six months, your foals are better off in the pasture. I tend to keep my foals in the pasture until 2 years because it can be difficult to feed them all that they need to keep their weight and energy up before then.

Breeding high strung to high strung won't guarantee you a high temperament. The birth temperament is more important to breeding than the temperament they are adjusted to. Unless it was recorded at birth, you have no way to know what temperament your high strung mares started out with. If they started out at calm, and are bred to a stud that was calm, then the foals will usually be calm with some being born even-tempered and some being born stuck at bombproof. If you want them to be born higher, it is important to note what the parents are born with and only keep foals that you deem to have an acceptable starting temperament.

If a horse's temperament changes to bombproof, it won't be stuck there. It may take it a very long time to change, but it will change if the correct steps are taken.

Training does not affect temperament. Temperament is only affected by what the horse eats.
Horsechronicles12
Visit My Farm

Silverine wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:26 pm Here is an in-depth guide I wrote about feeding for temperament.

I'm guessing your foals are in a pasture. The pasture is what brings them down to bombproof. They are eating too much fiber and not enough sugar. If you want their temperament to move toward the hotter end you need to put them in a barn and feed them something high in sugar and low in fiber (weight gain mix or performance mix are good choices).

Before six months, your foals are better off in the pasture. I tend to keep my foals in the pasture until 2 years because it can be difficult to feed them all that they need to keep their weight and energy up before then.

Breeding high strung to high strung won't guarantee you a high temperament. The birth temperament is more important to breeding than the temperament they are adjusted to. Unless it was recorded at birth, you have no way to know what temperament your high strung mares started out with. If they started out at calm, and are bred to a stud that was calm, then the foals will usually be calm with some being born even-tempered and some being born stuck at bombproof. If you want them to be born higher, it is important to note what the parents are born with and only keep foals that you deem to have an acceptable starting temperament.

If a horse's temperament changes to bombproof, it won't be stuck there. It may take it a very long time to change, but it will change if the correct steps are taken.

Training does not affect temperament. Temperament is only affected by what the horse eats.
I keep mine in a pasture and they are just fine
AppleofHiseye178
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by AppleofHiseye178 »

Silverine wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:26 pm Here is an in-depth guide I wrote about feeding for temperament.

Thank you so much for this information. I usually have them popped in a barn and then moved to a pasture. I've noticed if I keep them in the pasture their Calm temperament turns to bombproof really quick. If I keep them in the barn and feed them 25%-50% corn.. they usually stay super skinny and I keep getting the notification that they aren't eating enough.
I've been moving them back and forth between barn and pasture only to end up with bombproof foals, but I will admit that I have not been keeping up with the birth temperament of my foals, mares, or studs.. so that could be why. I will try to implement your advice.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

AppleofHiseye178 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:52 am Thank you so much for this information. I usually have them popped in a barn and then moved to a pasture. I've noticed if I keep them in the pasture their Calm temperament turns to bombproof really quick. If I keep them in the barn and feed them 25%-50% corn.. they usually stay super skinny and I keep getting the notification that they aren't eating enough.
I've been moving them back and forth between barn and pasture only to end up with bombproof foals, but I will admit that I have not been keeping up with the birth temperament of my foals, mares, or studs.. so that could be why. I will try to implement your advice.
You're welcome. :) As long as their temperaments are changeable, then it won't matter if they go down to bombproof. You'll still be able to bring them back up. All of my horses get kicked out to pasture as soon as they're born and brought back in when they turn 2. Some of them get back up to high strung by the time they turn 3, others take longer. But they do eventually get there. :)
Horsechronicles12 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:22 pm I keep mine in a pasture and they are just fine
Your pastured horses that are not at bombproof are in a mowed pasture eating either weight gain mix or performance mix. (I did actually check them all.) So they're not eating grass. Grass is too high in fiber to maintain a high strung temperament. So my point still stands that being in the pasture (unmowed) is what brings the temperament down. If you want a horse to remain at high strung temperament and proper weight with 0 maintenance (remembering to mow the pasture, adjusting food for weight) then they need to stay in a barn.
Emlyn
Visit My Farm

Post by Emlyn »

AppleofHiseye178 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:52 am
What works for me is keeping them in a pasture until they are old enough to eat feed then moving them into a barn on 100% Yellow corn ^-^

Anything with high sugar, so Yellow corn, sweet feed, and weight gain mix

Pasture: until they are able to eat feed then move into a barn
Or you can just start them in a barn ^-^

Depends on the horse! It us possible, but very hard and sometimes the horse is stuck at bombproof forever

Depends on the horse! Try and catch them if they get to calm, it is easier to raise the temperament from calm then it is from bombproof

No certain age horse's temperaments change no matter the age. You could have a 17 year old that was high strung then take a few turns and they are at bombproof. ^-^ most people start training at newborn

Yes and no, depending on where the horse is!
If you are feeding it in a pasture which has high amounts of fiber, then you might need to transfer it over to a barn or mow the pasture to reduce the fiber intake ^-^
The only thing you will really be changing in a barn is % to get the horse to a certain weight

Horsechronicles12
Visit My Farm

Silverine wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:15 am
AppleofHiseye178 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:52 am Thank you so much for this information. I usually have them popped in a barn and then moved to a pasture. I've noticed if I keep them in the pasture their Calm temperament turns to bombproof really quick. If I keep them in the barn and feed them 25%-50% corn.. they usually stay super skinny and I keep getting the notification that they aren't eating enough.
You're welcome. :) As long as their temperaments are changeable, then it won't matter if they go down to bombproof. You'll still be able to bring them back up. All of my horses get kicked out to pasture as soon as they're born and brought back in when they turn 2. Some of them get back up to high strung by the time they turn 3, others take longer. But they do eventually get there. :)
Horsechronicles12 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:22 pm I keep mine in a pasture and they are just fine
Your pastured horses that are not at bombproof are in a mowed pasture eating either weight gain mix or performance mix. (I did actually check them all.) So they're not eating grass. Grass is too high in fiber to maintain a high strung temperament. So my point still stands that being in the pasture (unmowed) is what brings the temperament down. If you want a horse to remain at high strung temperament and proper weight with 0 maintenance (remembering to mow the pasture, adjusting food for weight) then they need to stay in a barn.
You haven't checked recently then because I have over 100% pastures (unmowed). I haven't mowed them in a while and all the ones I use for racing DEFINITELY do not got mowed.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

Horsechronicles12 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:42 pm You haven't checked recently then because I have over 100% pastures (unmowed). I haven't mowed them in a while and all the ones I use for racing DEFINITELY do not got mowed.
I apologize, I realized that many of the pastures are short because of the number of horses in them, not because you mowed them. That was my mistake.

However, I still only see three pastures where the grass is at 100%, and even in those the horses that are at high strung are on 100% weight gain or performance mix. If you have a horse at high strung that has not been eating performance mix or weight gain mix I would be very happy to be directed to it. :)
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri May 03, 2024 1:40 am

It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 1:40 am