Community Forum

Trouble creating new breed

Until registries are in place the Breeding Communities forum will be for players to work together towards creating or improving their favourite breeds.
Forum rules
Each breed may have only one topic. The first post in the topic is to be informative. It should help explain the breed, and breeding goals; advice on how to select mares and stallions; and links to ideal Stallions available for breeding.
Keeping a directory of breeders working on the same goal is also helpful.
All new threads must be approved.
omgisabel
Visit My Farm

Trouble creating new breed

Post by omgisabel »

I’m trying to create a Gelderlander horse as there are few in the game, but even though I cross bred the correct breeds and evaluated them with the correct books, the foal was a grade horse, not a Gelderlander. I did everything right, so what happened? I’m not sure. I’ll link the foal that turned out wrong. https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3297499
Rinners
Visit My Farm

Re: Trouble creating new breed

Post by Rinners »

omgisabel wrote:I’m trying to create a Gelderlander horse as there are few in the game, but even though I cross bred the correct breeds and evaluated them with the correct books, the foal was a grade horse, not a Gelderlander. I did everything right, so what happened? I’m not sure. I’ll link the foal that turned out wrong. https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3297499
hi! if I'm not mistaken, arabian x oldenburg needs a part of the breed of one of them, like part norflok trotter
Rinners
Visit My Farm

Post by Rinners »

omgisabel wrote:I’m trying to create a Gelderlander horse as there are few in the game, but even though I cross bred the correct breeds and evaluated them with the correct books, the foal was a grade horse, not a Gelderlander. I did everything right, so what happened? I’m not sure. I’ll link the foal that turned out wrong. https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3297499
hi! if I'm not mistaken, arabian x oldenburg needs a part of the breed of one of them, like part norflok trotter
Sawd10
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Sawd10 »

omgisabel wrote:I’ll link the foal that turned out wrong.
You did not do anything wrong. You have 2 horses that both evaluate as a *2 for Gelderlander. The chances of them creating a Gelderlander is low, because both of them evaluate poorly, and only for height. Because of this, it will be difficult getting them to throw something that could be a Gelderlander, because they are not throwing the correct body size or type.
It is normal for the crossing to fail when trying to create a new breed; it generally takes a few tries to get one. In your case, I suppose it could be possible to get a Gelderlander, but I recommend that you switch one (or both) of them out and get something that evaluates *3-*5.

Also, this does not belong in Breeding Communities. You would seek help in Gameplay Questions & Help.
A wise man once said nothing at all.
Royale Ranch
Location: Driving, Photographing or Playing the Piano (or maybe actually working)
Visit My Farm

Post by Royale Ranch »

okay, this is going to be long - and quite possibly, far more in depth than you need - however, I will defend myself by saying that this is one of my favorite aspects of HWO.

Gelderlander = [ Arabian x Oldenburg ] x [ Norfolk Trotter x Andalusian ]

Obviously, to create a Gelderlander, you need one parent to be an Arabian x Oldenburg, one parent to be a Norfolk Trotter x Andulasian.

According to the breed books, for a horse to be a Gelderlander, it must meet the following requirements:
Height: 15.1 - 16.3
Build: M - MH
Size: 40-60
Type: 50-70 Pony

Many players work out the next section in different ways, so this is only a guide - but here is how I would look at it.

Lets assume that all of your horses fall within range of the breed books - therefore:

Arabian:
Height: 14.0 - 15.3
Build: VL-L
Size: 0 - 20
Type: 100- 78

Oldenburg:
Height: 16.0 - 17.3
Build: ML-MH
Size: 40-75
Type: 60 horse - 70 pony

Norfolk Trotter:
Height: 15.0-16.1
Build: vl - l
Size: 10-30
Type: 90- 70 horse

Andulasian:
Height: 14.1-16.3
Build: ML-M
Size: 35-50
Type: 60h - 55p

Now, estimate what the cross-breeds will look like: (*I'm still learning, so this may be wildly incorrect*) All I'm doing, is combining the ranges of the each horse, to guess what their foals will fall in the range of.

Arabian x Oldenburg:
Height: 15.1-17.1
Build: ML-MH - (mostly medium)
Size: 38-65
Type: 60h - 63p

Norfolk Trotter x Andulasian:
Height: 14.2-16.2
Build: L - ML
Size: 20-40
Type: 55-75h

You will note that there is quite a bit of room for movement / difference for the foals to turn out.
lets that they are within the above range, and then we breed them together - a guess is the following:

Height: 14.3-16.3
Build: ML-M
Size: 30 - 50
Type: 65horse - 55pony

now, lets compare this result (which is all the horses needed to create a Gelderlander to what a Gelderlander actually needs to be:
needs: estimated: Notes:
Height: 15.1 - 16.3 14.3-16.3 Close, may be too short.
Build: M - MH ML-M Watch - need heavier build.
Size: 40-60 30 - 50 Watch - may be too small
Type: 50-70 Pony 65horse - 55pony Issue - likely to be horse, not pony.

Now, from that data, we can go back to the original breeds, and look what we need to change to get a result as close as estimated as possible - yes, foals don't always turn out how we like, but it eliminates a certain amount of risk.

Arabian:
Height: 14.0 - 15.3 - 3) avoid using shorter horses, keep above 15.1 if possible.
Build: VL-L 2) avoid using VL horses. - important.
Size: 0 - 20 4) if possible, use horses with higher % size. (above 10)
Type: 100- 78 1) this is the most important feature for the Arabians. use horses with less horse type as possible. (do not use anything above 85)

Oldenburg:
Height: 16.0 - 17.3 3) avoid using shorter horses. keep above 16.2
Build: ML-MH 2) Do not use ML horses. If possible, use MH
Size: 40-75 4) if there is a choice, look for variations above 55
Type: 60 horse - 70 pony - 1) important - use as much pony type as possible. (do not use horse type)

Norfolk Trotter:
Height: 15.0-16.1 - do not use anything lower than 15.2
Build: vl - l - do not use VL
Size: 10-30 - if possible, use higher size percentage. do not use below 15%
Type: 90- 70 horse - use as lower horse as possibe. try below 80. This is most important

Andulasian:
Height: 14.1-16.3 - use as tall as possible. try to only use 15.0 and above.
Build: ML-M - if possible, use M rather than ML
Size: 35-50 - use above 40 if possible.
Type: 60h - 55p most important. choose as pony-type as possible. do not go above. 55h

Now, if we can get horses within this new range, we can expect the foals to turn out like the following (hopefully)

Arabian x Oldenburg:
Height: 15.3 - 17.0
Build: M - MH
Size: 30-60
Type: 75h - 60 pony.

Height: 15.1-16.2
Build: ML
Size: 23-43
Type: 50-70h

Those are the possible results, but still arent as close as we would like to the Gelderlander.
look at the following nots to refine:

Arabian x Oldenburg:
Height: 15.3 - 17.0 - fine, so long as stays in this range.
Build: M - MH - a MH horse will greatly increase the chance of a Gelderlander
Size: 30 - 60 - VERY IMPORTANT - will be difficult, but get a horse above 50 if possible.
Type: 75h - 60 pony. Only use pony types. (50 pony - 60+ pony)

Height: 15.1-16.2 - fine, so long as stays in this range.
Build: ML - Cannot be any lighter than this.
Size: 23-43 - the higher, the more chance. anything lower than 33 unlikely to be successful.
Type: 50-70h - not likely anything above 60h will work. (50-60h only)

In the very, very fortunate event that we throw foals that meet this set of requirements, we could get a foal that turns out within the following range:

Height: 15.2-16.2
Build: M
Size: 35-55
Type: 55h-55p

finally, lets compare to the necessary results for a Gelderlander

Gelderlander:
Height: 15.1 - 16.3 vs 15.2-16.2 - perfect!
Build: M - MH vs M - fine! (may cause issues)
Size: 40-60 vs 35-55 - perfect!
Type: 50-70 Pony vs 55h - 55p - biggest difficulty, but certainly possible!

There is a reason there are so few Gelderlander's in the game. Now, i really hope that all makes sense!
If you have any further questions, or something needs explaining, please do let me know.

all the very best,
Royale.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Thu May 02, 2024 11:05 pm

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 11:05 pm